Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tendency to misread rules on really easy game

huangliang1huangliang1 Free Trial Member
in Logic Games 16 karma

Hi guys
After fool proofing LG some time, I found out that I tend to make some small but potential fatal mistakes during game setup under timed drilling.
For example, I will misread "A immediately before B" as " A immediately before or after B" because I was thinking some similar games associated with the later rule while I was writing down the former rules.
It's really annoying and a bit frustrating to lose points on easy games. On the contrary, I tend to have a higher accurate rate on many of harder games during timed drilling.
I am trying to find ways to get rid of this tendency. Anyone has similar experience ?
Thanks

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

We've all done this many times. To eliminate this tendency, continue to make note of when you do it.

Also, double-check your rules once you've written them all down.

• huangliang1huangliang1 Free Trial Member
    16 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    We've all done this many times. To eliminate this tendency, continue to make note of when you do it.

Thanks a lot
    I will try to force myself to review the rules one more time before actually get into questions.
    Hope this will work

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Are you misreading the rule, or misrepresenting the rule. I will write something like that as AB inside of a box. Meaning A and B are together, in that order. If it's before or after, but A and B must be together, I'll have a switch over top the boxed AB.
    If it's misreading, maybe do a quick second go through of every rule to make sure you didn't miss something. "Measure twice, cut once" so to speak.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@goingfor99th said:

This. In addition to this, I double check that I have translated the rules correctly from the last rule backward to the first. I have found that checking them from the first to the last can leave open the possibility that I skip over my mistake again. Double checking adds between 10-15 seconds to the game, but saves a large amount of hassle. After I double check I make a symbol that indicates to myself that I have done the work and am 99% sure what I have written is an accurate reflection of what is given. This symbol tells me that I never have to look back at the large block of text LSAC gives us for the set up again.

I remember in undergrad I had a professor who used to tell us to check our writing for spelling mistakes by reading the last sentence first: essentially read the paper backwards.

16 karma

@xadrianas6x said:
    Are you misreading the rule, or misrepresenting the rule. I will write something like that as AB inside of a box. Meaning A and B are together, in that order. If it's before or after, but A and B must be together, I'll have a switch over top the boxed AB.
    If it's misreading, maybe do a quick second go through of every rule to make sure you didn't miss something. "Measure twice, cut once" so to speak.

misreading. I was looking at AB in a box and thinking of AB and BA.
    Basically I tend to come up some of games I drilled with similar pattern and sometimes the rules of those older games was whispering to me while I am reading rules. And to make it worse, I tend to get a bit excited because I know I can solve this game no problem, and that adds more confusion.

16 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:

@goingfor99th said:

This. In addition to this, I double check that I have translated the rules correctly from the last rule backward to the first. I have found that checking them from the first to the last can leave open the possibility that I skip over my mistake again. Double checking adds between 10-15 seconds to the game, but saves a large amount of hassle. After I double check I make a symbol that indicates to myself that I have done the work and am 99% sure what I have written is an accurate reflection of what is given. This symbol tells me that I never have to look back at the large block of text LSAC gives us for the set up again.

I remember in undergrad I had a professor who used to tell us to check our writing for spelling mistakes by reading the last sentence first: essentially read the paper backwards.

Good advice!
    I will try this tomorrow.
    I missed rules for more than once. I believe reading backwards will help me with this

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

I like to put a check mark next to each rule when I review it to make sure I wrote it down correctly.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I underline the most important parts of the rule. I do this in the QS as well.

8689 karma

@jkatz1488 I do this also as I read the rules.

8689 karma

One last thing I will add here for anyone reading is that ideally, one should be able to catch a mistranslation of a rule pretty early on. If for instance you are doing a standard acceptable situation question and you are working wrong to right (which is what I would recommend) and the application of a single rule allows you to eliminate 3-4 of the answer choices: you have messed up. I am not aware of a single instance (open for correction here) where a single rule on a standard acceptable situation allows you to breeze through like this. What is far more likely if this happens is you have kept the incorrect violation and gotten rid of the correct “passing the test” answer choices. Go back and check!

There are a few other little checks like this we can use.

David

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Agreed David. It get's tricky on games where there is no ASQ though. Even if it takes a little longer to catch in these cases, things usually feel off and I know I need to return to my rules and/or my understanding of them.

8689 karma

@jkatz1488 you’re totally right.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

So this happened to me during a drill a few days ago. I was working from the screen rather than with pencil and paper, and I read a rule too fast. As I worked, I felt like something wasn't working, then finally reread the rules, after wasting a lot of time, and realized this was a "gift" rule--they were telling us something really easy. I'm grateful this experience was there to teach me to improve focus. I think you're going to get better as you see and BR more games.

• 193 karma

I will have problems if I missed something in the rules. The answer choice won't just jump out at me. What I do now to help is I'll read the whole thing first. Second, I'll write them down in short hand. Third, I'll reread and ensure I got the correct meaning, and compare again with the shorthand down. It also helps me memorize so I don't have to go back and refer for every question. I'll do up quick boards also (If I have the the time). Usually, I'll catch mistaken understanding of a rule or missed portion there also.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Read all of the rules once before you diagram. Read the rules as you diagram the rules. And read the rules again as you try to make inferences. Finally read the rules for those elimination questions. This would be reading the rules 4 times and that should help you not make careless mistakes.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

I've made a document combining everyone's tips. I would post here but the format is getting messed up. Feel free to message me if you'd like a copy!!