Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Calm Down!!!

Nedra C.Nedra C. Alum Member
edited May 2018 in General 57 karma

Hi all!

This is my first time posting in a Discussion Forum, and I could really use some words of encouragement. I currently work full time as a paralegal, and I have been studying since September of 2017. I'm not gonna lie to you, and I'm sure many of you know - it's so gosh darn hard to make yourself study after a full day of work!! Anyways, at first I wasn't studying very regularly, but then I got into the habit of studying on my lunch breaks, and after work as well. It's been SO exhausting, but I know that it's worth it when I see myself getting higher scores and having deeper understandings on a consistent basis. I was originally going to take the February 2018 test, but I then decided to take the June 2018 test instead, so that I would have more time to study. I THINK I'll be okay taking this June test, but I'm starting to panic again with it being right around the corner. I'm not sure if my doubts have any real basis, or if it's just me being my normal super paranoid anxious test-taking self. I know that if I'm not pleased with my score, I can retake the LSAT in September, but I just don't want to have to resort to that. Is that silly of me?

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help :)

Comments

• I wanna sleepI wanna sleep Member
    77 karma

I am in the same position as you. I am working as a paralegal and have been studying irregularly for almost 10 months. Paralegal work is really tough with all the reading and drafting, and then we go back home after at least 8 hours of work to read RC passages that drain our will to live. I worked out a schedule with the partners to take Friday half off so I can do two prep tests over the weekends. See if you can do the same. For me, I am not performing as I was expecting, but I decided to do the test anyway because I am tired of studying and working; being constantly anxious about the test is really unhealthy. As for encouragement, I would say trust your intuition and have realistic expectations. For the next two weeks, study efficiently. If there are clear areas for improvement, focus on those. For me, I am missing so many questions on RC, almost half of the points I miss are in the RC section, so I am gonna focus on RC to see if I can get a couple extra points.

Btw did you read the report 7sage did about admission rates for early applicants, it seems that our chances are significantly higher if we apply in September. So take that into consideration when it comes to thinking about postponing to September. Maybe if you don't do well in June, you can consider September.

Here's the link: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/affects-chances-getting-law-school/

• 136 karma

In the same boat! Working full time as a paralegal with a 1 hour commute to and from work every day. I've been struggling to find the time and motivation, but I wake up at 5:15 every morning and try to crush some logic games along with a few after work (drilling the games currently). It may take a while longer studying, but just do what it takes!

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

I work full time at a job where I am busy all day and I just don't find it realistic to study when I get home (on top of make dinner and get ready for the next day).

So what I have been doing is getting up at 4:00 AM. Yes, 4:00 AM. Well actually my alarm goes off at 3:50 which gives me 10 minutes to take a shower to help wake myself up. Then I study at 4 AM until 7 am when I have to head to work.

It was hard at first, but then I remind myself of why I am doing this. Now, I don't have a problem with it and it feels so good to know that by the time I head to work, I studied for the day. Which gives me time in the evening to do other things.

But note, that I don't do this every day in the week day. I do it for 4 days. The remaining day, I get up at my regular hour which allows me to feel like I am sleeping in a little bit.

• 101 karma

Same boat, friend!

I too have a full-time job and also have an 8 month old. There is nothing that I want to do more than to get off work, spend time with the family, and veg out. One thing that I keep reminding myself of is that consistency of any form is the key to success. Some nights I can only put in an hour of studying - some nights I get 2-3. I bombed (emphasis on bombed) my January 18 LSAT. Solid 144. Now I am aiming for the September LSAT and, if needed, the December.

I panic because I know that my irregular study schedule could be the death of me when re-taking. But at the same time, I take solace in knowing that for better or worse, what will be will be. You can only control what you can control and there is no use in stressing over what is not your hands. If you retake in June and don't get the score you want, you have September. If not September, December. See the pattern? More chances will always come. As long as you are doing everything you can do without exhausting yourself and burning out, then just take pride in your work ethic and prep and be confident.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It's totally OK to postpone if you feel that would be best. Have you been to your test center yet?

• Nedra C.Nedra C. Alum Member
    57 karma

@"I wanna sleep" Thank you so much for your kind words and understanding! I think we are mentally in the exact same place right now. I have starred that link, and I will be re-reading it soon. :)

@"Mindful Monkey" Thank you :)

@tams2018 Thank you! I also wake up earlier than I need to, but in the mornings I like to work out. It gives me a chance to destress and clear my brain. Luckily my fiance always gets home before I do, and he's been understanding enough to help and make dinner the last few weeks, so I can go straight into studying. But you're right - when it gets hard, it's SO helpful to remember what we're working so hard for! <3

@"Freddie Mercurys Mustache" 1. OMG I love your username haha. 2. Congrats on your 8 month old :) 3. Thank you SO SO MUCH. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just need to remind myself that every little bit counts, and to keep on going.

@lsatplaylist My test center is actually at the Marriott across the street from my work! I've been there more times than I can count. I'm hoping that it might help to have a sense of familiarity.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

Can this just be a full time work vent post omg I am suffering! I work f/t as a litigation assistant aka an underpaid paralegal and I am struggling to study. I also have an hour commute. I did really good for a few months of a solid 3-4 hours every day after work and then I cut back after work studying but woke up a lil early and studied during my lunch break. Now I just can’t bring myself to study during my lunch break. I’m not even that tired after work, like once I start studying I can focus and I’m fine, I just wish I had more time in the day! Sometimes I’ll start studying and then I’m like shit it’s 11pm already and by the time I get to bed it’s way late and I don’t get enough sleep. I feel like this job is totally crushing my LSAT potential.
    I’m also at a point where I feel like I could score really well so I’m kind of like do I really need to study that much but I also know if I don’t study a lot I’m not 100% ensuring that i’ll do really well.
    I just keep reminding myself that I want this and life’s not that bad if the thing causing me most stress and misery is just that I have to study after work :neutral:
    Also, your test is a few weeks away, you shouldn’t be stressing at this point. You should be ready to go, with consistent PTs at the score you want. There’s not much you can do now aside from maintain your PT score where it’s at and keep your brain fresh and your body healthy and your emotions in check.
    Waking up at 3:50 am is intense...i’m going to try that...

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Not at all. You have to realize that you can only do what you can do, and that if this test doesn't come out well enough, then there are other test dates. It's just time. And some money. But mostly, time.
    Accept the possibility of not getting it this time, embrace it, and then let it pass. I find that allowing yourself to think of possible outcomes, and seeing how little control we have over them, or how completely not a big deal they are, is helpful in calming myself down. Fear of the unknown just leads to anxiety, and anxiety never leads to anything good. Deal with your fears.
    Prepare as best you can, and do your best. You might be pleasantly surprised! No one knows how test day will go until we see that day. Know that this isn't the end unless you decide it's the end. Keep moving forward, and don't let negative thoughts drag you down.
    <3

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    edited May 2018 634 karma

I'm not saying it's advisable for everyone, but leaving your job to study for the lsat full time is a method applied by many individuals to very successful ends. If you have the potential to score 170+, the scholarships you can get from a high score ultimately make it worth it. (edit: the required assumption here is that you have the potential to score 170+, and other things being equal a mentally taxing job is precluding you from doing so)

If you can afford to it's something worth considering. Even switching to a job that's less mentally taxing would help. We all have a finite level of mental resources on any given day, LSAT material is extremely taxing and study sessions absolutely require adequate mental energy in order to be worthwhile.

Make sure you're eating and sleeping well too, the benefits of doing so are too often overlooked.

• csulbsmw07csulbsmw07 Alum Member
    10 karma

I'm feeling nervous about June lsat as well. I've taken the exam more than once. Currently working taking care of my father, sister and nephew.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The good thing for all of you is that the fact that schools take the highest LSAT score basically means their is no reason to get to stressed by the test. If you are scoring in range of your goals you take it. If it goes well congratulations. If not, study more and retake it. Heck if it goes well you might want to study more and try to retake it.

So there shouldn't be all that much stress. I'm starting to think forward to law school exams at the end of fall and my main thought is that it is horrible we only get to take these tests which make a big difference in our lives once! Why can't it be more like the LSAT where I got to retake and one bad day basically couldn't hurt me? And I'm sure in the future I'll look bqck at those and think, at least I had practice exams. Blank law job expects me to get this right on my first try!

My point is we always stress out with anything important that we are doing and that usually there are some pretty nice things like real practice exams and ability to retake that make that stress less warranted than we feel it is in the moment.