Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I postpone? registered June 2018 exam

ec8282013ec8282013 Member
in General 22 karma

Hi 7sage community,

I've been studying for the LSAT for almost a year now. Here's my history:

1. I took a 2.5 month course with Testmasters summer 2017 and studied for the December LSAT, scored a 161

2. I started studying again in January for the February LSAT and scored a 163.

3. (now) I started studying again in April for this upcoming June LSAT.

- I came back scoring surprisingly well: 166 (PT51), 169 (PT49), 170 (PT60), 168 (PT80)
- The past 2 test I took within the past 10 days have been a 163 (PT81), 159 (PT74), and 160 (PT72).
- Overall, I'm averaging a LR -4.7, LG: -3.6, RC: -4.4
- I've scored amazingly on some LR with only -3 or -4, but recently I've even gotten -13, so I don't know what's wrong. I may have felt a little more tired before taking my recent PTs but does it account for that big of a difference?

My target is 168 minimum, best case is low 170s. So:
- should I take the June 2018 exam in a week or not? I'm afraid if I don't do well now, I'll risk having to take it again a fourth time in September. How bad does that look?
- Bonus: Will the LSAT scores become less significant with future applications because of the availability of Khan Academy courses, no more limits on max amount of LSATS, plus extra offerings for the LSAT? I'm afraid if I don't take the LSAT soon, it will affect my application because I only have a 3.3 UGPA.

Thanks so much for your help! Minor stressing recently..

Comments

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

I think your recent PT scores are a bit troublesome, because you're likely to perform the average of the most recent 3 PTs on test day. That said, I think you may be experiencing burn out. Your earlier PTs show your potential, but the fact that the last 3 takes have been significantly lower in score indicates that it might be time for a break.

I would push back the test to July or September, take some time off, and work on your weaknesses. To score a 168, it's recommended that your PT average are in the low 170s. Especially given that your uGPA is on the lower side, you would want to maximize your LSAT score the best that you can.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

If you are questioning a postponement, it is probably for the best to postpone. I'm not sure how you felt for December and February tests, chances are you didn't feel confident you would score <168 at those points but took the exam anyway. I did the same thing in December and scored under my potential. I needed more time. I felt I should postpone for the entire week before the test date but took it anyway. Not sure if I regret it per-say, but I definitely want to be 100% confident when I take it again. Originally I thought that would be February, then June, but I decided not to rush it and am planning for September. Come September, if I'm not feeling close to 100% confident (I understand stress and nerves play a factor), I'll postpone till November. The LSAT is not something to be rushed.

I'm not an expert on applying with 4 scores, but I do know that some schools ask you to write an essay if you LSAT score change X amount of points. I think it would become a pretty difficult essay to write with 4 scores.

I'm not completely sure about your question regarding Khan Academy... short answer I don't see how the scores will become less significant because of it. There has always been free study resources. I have read about the trend of more people scoring well (165+ range).... but I'm not too familiar with the implications of that or whether or not its even true. Same with the unlimited retakes (x) and multiple offerings (y). In my opinion it lends itself to creating an environment in which people take the test before they are ready because of x and y, don't score as well as they hoped, and retake. So perhaps the argument could be made that scores may matter less due to x and y as well as the GRE as an option, but I liked to think that LSAC has/will continue to normalize the changes made.

One final note.... "I'm afraid if I don't take the LSAT soon, it will affect my application because I only have a 3.3 UGPA." As a splitter, you should definitely not rush the LSAT, taking the exam earlier than July or September is not going to affect your application. But not scoring your goal score, will affect your application and cycle. Raising your score 2 points is big! Congrats! Keep at it, you can do this!

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

I'd say go for it. Your recent low scores could be from burnout. You said you scored really well after coming back to the test after a break. So take it easy this week doing light review, and give your brain a rest. Be fresh for the test. You have hit your target score before, and you are capable! You've been studying for a year, taking a week to recharge will not hurt you. You know this material, you can do it. Pull the trigger!!! There is nothing to lose, you can alway retake it again in July or September, or both!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited June 2018 6045 karma

Your recent test scores could definetly be a case of burnout and if you are considering postponing then I don't know how that will affect you psychologically on test day if in the back of your mind you feel unprepared. As a splitter, I don't think it will make much difference in your application if you take it in September as opposed to June. I believe that's still early enough in the cycle. The general adage on 7sage is that you should consistently be scoring about 5 points higher than your target score before you officially take to account for decrease from test anxiety.

It's next weekend right? Normally, I'd suggest taking a week off and seeing how you feel. Take the next few days off and maybe do light sections of LR on Wednesday or Thursday and see how you feel? You can still withdraw Friday if you're not up to it.

As for your other question, it's hard to predict what will happen. On the one hand, they might put more of an emphasis on LSAT scores now since there was an increase in high scorers and if that trend continues, clearly the school's medians will go up. On the other hand, with unlimited retakes and free course availability, there might also be more of an emphasis on work experience or volunteer work. We saw how competitive this past cycle was and as a result, factors aside from GPA and LSAT scores were given more emphasis. LSAC also has to be aware, or should be, that not everyone has the financial means to take the test an unlimited number of times and it could raise the question of what unlimited really entails. Like I have unlimited data on my phone but I think if I use more than 2 GB or 5GB in a month, it starts buffering. Similarly, there might be a cut-off point like 4 or 5 tests within a certain period. The LSAC could put restrictions again on the amount of tests a person can take. It's hard to predict and I'm not in that business of predicting trends but in my opinion don't worry about that stuff right now. Focus on getting the goal score you want and then if you need to pad your resume, do that.

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    103 karma

Obviously the June test day has come and gone, and you've already decided (& acted on) what to do. For what it's worth, I 100% agree with postponing it - there's literally no reason not to. As someone earlier pointed out, "the LSAT is not something to be rushed."

And especially as a splitter - which is why I still wanted to make a comment. You said, "I'm afraid if I don't take the LSAT soon, it will affect my application because I only have a 3.3 UGPA." -- what does taking it sooner have to do with anything? If anything, it's better to take it later, since you'll be more removed from your UGPA. I have no clue when or if you've graduated, what your professional experience is etc., but NOT rushing your LSAT seems like the best thing to do.
    Good luck!