Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review

RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
in General 143 karma

Hi guys I just wanna get some opinions on my BR vs regular scores. I’ve taken only 2 PTs so far and these were the scores:

Test 1 Timed: 149
Test 1 BR: 153

Test 2 Timed: 145
Test 2 BR: 158

My goal is to be at 160 or higher. I was kinda disheartened to see my already low initial score decrease but I was also surprised that my BR score was that much higher? Any advice on what I can take from this, what this means and where to go from here?

Thanks guys

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Your BR score is the theoretical maximum you could have obtained from the PT in question. This means you have a lot of space for improvement. Keep doing BR and practice! The score decrease looks like a reasonable deviation.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2018 10779 karma

I love that between your two PT's your BR score was higher. This means you are raising your potential maximum score. Keep working on increasing your blind review as well as answering the question about how you could next time achieve some of the points during PT that you got in BR.

For example, if you decide during blind review that question 24 and 25 were some of the questions you could have gotten under time as well you want to ask why didn't you get it? Did you run out of time? Were you rushing? How could you get to question 24 and 25 next time while being calm? -The answers to these questions are going to help you decide on what type of drilling you may need in between PT's that will help raise your actual score to start closing the gap between your blind review score while you keep working on raising that bar.

• RunawayJuryRunawayJury Alum Member
    143 karma

@Sami said:

I love that between your two PT's your BR score was higher. This means you are raising your potential maximum score. Keep working on increasing your blind review as well as answering the question about how you could next time achieve some of the points during PT that you got in BR.

For example, if you decide during blind review that question 24 and 25 were some of the questions you could have gotten under time as well you want to ask why didn't you get it? Did you run out of time? Were you rushing? How could you get to question 24 and 25 next time while being calm? -The answers to these questions are going to help you decide on what type of drilling you may need in between PT's that will help raise your actual score to start closing the gap between your blind review score while you keep working on raising that bar.

Thanks for your response, I don't know why but on the Second PT I did I definitely felt way more cramped for time than the first one. I feel like my overall understanding may be improving, but my timing is still way too slow unfortunately

• dooner90dooner90 Member
    12 karma

I'm going through a similar thing right now. Here's my issue: I took the PT, circled all the questions I suspected were wrong, and then after doing BR and grading --- I found out that the ones I was most certain about were actually the ones I got wrong. How the heck does that work?

143 karma

@dooner90 said:
    I'm going through a similar thing right now. Here's my issue: I took the PT, circled all the questions I suspected were wrong, and then after doing BR and grading --- I found out that the ones I was most certain about were actually the ones I got wrong. How the heck does that work?

LOL that is a strange situation for sure, it's happened to me a couple times, for me though I'm noticing for some questions its really coming down to 2 answer choices and I honestly can't decide

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10779 karma

@RunawayJury said:

@Sami said:

Thanks for your response, I don't know why but on the Second PT I did I definitely felt way more cramped for time than the first one. I feel like my overall understanding may be improving, but my timing is still way too slow unfortunately

Maybe you felt more pressure to increase your score in the second PT? Whenever I used to feel the pressure to score a certain score instead of just being present with each question, I would be more reluctant to miss questions. This would mean I was slower in moving on from questions that were difficult and in the end I wouldn't have that much time left.

It could also be just a skipping strategy problem. At this point in your prep you should be selectively missing some questions. If your goal is to attempt all 25 questions, you would definitely be cramped for time. But if your goal is to just improve, see if in the first round you can identify 5 questions to miss under 20 seconds -double circle these questions. Then identify other ones you are struggling with but you think you can get in second round -mark these ones by single circle. After you are done with first round, try only doing the ones you circled with a single circle first. These are the questions you have the most potential to get correct fast. If you have any left over time, attempt your double circles. Your goal should be to maximize your potential in PT, you can maximize this by selectively choosing which questions to not spend any time on.

A rule of thumb that lets me see if I am not skipping effectively is I should have completed 5 questions at least in 30-40 seconds, at least one question that I skipped completely in less than 30 seconds (right now for you that should be 4-5 of these questions) and no questions in my 1st round should take over 100 seconds. If any of these things are not happening, I know I am not taking my chances with moving on fast from easy questions when I definitely can and I am not moving on from hard questions fast enough.

143 karma

@Sami said:

@RunawayJury said:

@Sami said:

Maybe you felt more pressure to increase your score in the second PT? Whenever I used to feel the pressure to score a certain score instead of just being present with each question, I would be more reluctant to miss questions. This would mean I was slower in moving on from questions that were difficult and in the end I wouldn't have that much time left.

It could also be just a skipping strategy problem. At this point in your prep you should be selectively missing some questions. If your goal is to attempt all 25 questions, you would definitely be cramped for time. But if your goal is to just improve, see if in the first round you can identify 5 questions to miss under 20 seconds -double circle these questions. Then identify other ones you are struggling with but you think you can get in second round -mark these ones by single circle. After you are done with first round, try only doing the ones you circled with a single circle first. These are the questions you have the most potential to get correct fast. If you have any left over time, attempt your double circles. Your goal should be to maximize your potential in PT, you can maximize this by selectively choosing which questions to not spend any time on.

A rule of thumb that lets me see if I am not skipping effectively is I should have completed 5 questions at least in 30-40 seconds, at least one question that I skipped completely in less than 30 seconds (right now for you that should be 4-5 of these questions) and no questions in my 1st round should take over 100 seconds. If any of these things are not happening, I know I am not taking my chances with moving on fast from easy questions when I definitely can and I am not moving on from hard questions fast enough.

thanks for your input I appreciate it