Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to review

gdix400gdix400 Core Member
in General 8 karma

Any tips on how to actively review or what are some ways you guys reviews ?

Comments

• AlexRexegerAlexRexeger Alum Member
    178 karma

Do you mean review a PT after taking it? So I print out two copies. I take it timed and score it (because I have zero self control) but I don’t look at which answers I’ve gotten wrong. Then I take my clean copy and do it all again untimed (except sometimes I leave out the LG if I’m super confident about it because I can safely tell if I’ve gotten a -1 or -0 on the LG section). Then I input my BR score and I take a look at what I’ve gotten wrong on the actual and ones I’ve gotten wrong on BR (a lot of times I get a few wrong on BR that I got right during timed conditions because I over think the question). For the questions I got wrong in during the actual or during BR, I look over all of them a third time and try to figure out why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. Then I look online for explanations to see if I’m missing anything. Hope that helps some.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Two things that really helped me were double BR and drills.

Double BR is when you take a test and score it but you don't look at the answers; you only see which questions you got wrong and then redo them. If you don't feel like you understood it or you got it wrong again, you cut that question out.

Drills really helped too, especially with RC. I did every single RC passage released at least once and doing so allowed me to see my strategies and make changes to my habits when necessary.

Hope this helps!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Seeing that you're not signed up for the 7sage course, I'll fill in a little on typical blind review (BR) here.

The standard BR is that as you take a timed prep test, you circle any questions that you're not 100% sure about the answer. Then after you finish the test, without scoring it first, take a clean copy of the test. Go through again untimed and re-do the questions that you circled on the first pass through. Then, score both your PT and the BR. Your BR score is your current theoretical maximum score.

This is handy because it reveals several things depending on what happens...

If you circled a question, got the same answer on BR and both were right: you just weren't confident, but know how to do that one.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR and the BR answer was right: you can review your process on why you got it wrong the first time.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR and you had it right the first time: analyze why you decided to change it, where your process went wrong.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR, and both were wrong: review and practice! You're lost here haha.
    If you didn't circle a question and you got it right: awesome, you knew what you were doing and were confident in the answer.
    If you didn't circle a question and you got it wrong: over-confidence error. You thought you knew what you were doing, but you obviously missed something.

This gives a lot of material to work with and helps point out where your weaknesses are, whether it's in your process of working through the question or in your confidence.

I typically do kind of an in-between. I do score my PT right after I take it (I'm way too anxious to know how I did overall!) although don't look at the exact question - just compare answer sheets and mark at the top of each section how many I got wrong so I can calculate my score. Then instead of printing a clean copy, I go through the same test and just with my hand cover up which of the answer choices I circled. It helps to not see your previous work so that you have a clean slate to think through again. Seeing what you answered the first time can bias your review. For games though, I typically erase just which answer choice I circled, then use the test again but do my gameboard and work on separate notebook paper (and use that notebook paper to cover up my original work). Then just work through all the games untimed.

• gdix400gdix400 Core Member
    8 karma

@AlexRexeger said:
    Do you mean review a PT after taking it? So I print out two copies. I take it timed and score it (because I have zero self control) but I don’t look at which answers I’ve gotten wrong. Then I take my clean copy and do it all again untimed (except sometimes I leave out the LG if I’m super confident about it because I can safely tell if I’ve gotten a -1 or -0 on the LG section). Then I input my BR score and I take a look at what I’ve gotten wrong on the actual and ones I’ve gotten wrong on BR (a lot of times I get a few wrong on BR that I got right during timed conditions because I over think the question). For the questions I got wrong in during the actual or during BR, I look over all of them a third time and try to figure out why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. Then I look online for explanations to see if I’m missing anything. Hope that helps some.

Thank you so much, this helped a lot !

8 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Two things that really helped me were double BR and drills.

Double BR is when you take a test and score it but you don't look at the answers; you only see which questions you got wrong and then redo them. If you don't feel like you understood it or you got it wrong again, you cut that question out.

Drills really helped too, especially with RC. I did every single RC passage released at least once and doing so allowed me to see my strategies and make changes to my habits when necessary.

Hope this helps!

This definitely helped !

8 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Seeing that you're not signed up for the 7sage course, I'll fill in a little on typical blind review (BR) here.

The standard BR is that as you take a timed prep test, you circle any questions that you're not 100% sure about the answer. Then after you finish the test, without scoring it first, take a clean copy of the test. Go through again untimed and re-do the questions that you circled on the first pass through. Then, score both your PT and the BR. Your BR score is your current theoretical maximum score.

This is handy because it reveals several things depending on what happens...

If you circled a question, got the same answer on BR and both were right: you just weren't confident, but know how to do that one.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR and the BR answer was right: you can review your process on why you got it wrong the first time.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR and you had it right the first time: analyze why you decided to change it, where your process went wrong.
    If you circled a question, changed it on BR, and both were wrong: review and practice! You're lost here haha.
    If you didn't circle a question and you got it right: awesome, you knew what you were doing and were confident in the answer.
    If you didn't circle a question and you got it wrong: over-confidence error. You thought you knew what you were doing, but you obviously missed something.

This gives a lot of material to work with and helps point out where your weaknesses are, whether it's in your process of working through the question or in your confidence.

I typically do kind of an in-between. I do score my PT right after I take it (I'm way too anxious to know how I did overall!) although don't look at the exact question - just compare answer sheets and mark at the top of each section how many I got wrong so I can calculate my score. Then instead of printing a clean copy, I go through the same test and just with my hand cover up which of the answer choices I circled. It helps to not see your previous work so that you have a clean slate to think through again. Seeing what you answered the first time can bias your review. For games though, I typically erase just which answer choice I circled, then use the test again but do my gameboard and work on separate notebook paper (and use that notebook paper to cover up my original work). Then just work through all the games untimed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, means a lot !