Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does GPA help/hurt?

First things first, I understand that the LSAT score is definitely the most important piece of quantitative information on a law school application.

That being said, does anyone have an idea of exactly how much GPA matters? Is it given almost as much consideration as the LSAT, or is it much less significant when compared?

I think that my GPA will be above the median at more schools than my LSAT score, so any advice here is appreciated.

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Comments

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I have heard that acceptance is 70% LSAT 30% GPA (excluding softs).

• TraianusTraianus Member
    120 karma

@mjmonte17 said:
    I have heard that acceptance is 70% LSAT 30% GPA (excluding softs).

This seems reasonable. So you think that a person above the 75th percentile for GPA could be accepted if they were under the median LSAT but above 25th percentile?

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I can’t say for sure, I would use the 7Sage acceptance predictor to get a rough idea.

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

Maybe check out this tool from the LSAC: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/UGPALSAT/UGPALSAT.aspx

It predicts your chances of acceptance to different schools based on your LSAT score and GPA.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Median LSAT means that half the people in the class have below that score so why wouldn't you think someone with above the 75th GPA and 25th to 50th LSAT could be accepted lol

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

GPA is somewhat less significant, but still very important. It depends on the school though. Chicago is known for having higher GPA standards than any other school. But they also want a high LSAT.

Also, retaking LSAT is obviously always an option that will give you better chances. Some people argue there is no such thing as a “reverse splitter” (someone with high GPA and low LSAT) since LSAT is under your control and you can work to raise it, whereas GPA is fixed once you’ve graduated.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 3.80 GPA but looking at schools in the top 20-30. The median GPA for these schools is about 3.5-3.65, and the median LSAT score is about 163-165. So I figure I can get into one of those schools with a point or two below the LSAT median, and hopefully get some scholarship if I get a little above the median.

120 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    GPA is somewhat less significant, but still very important. It depends on the school though. Chicago is known for having higher GPA standards than any other school. But they also want a high LSAT.

Also, retaking LSAT is obviously always an option that will give you better chances. Some people argue there is no such thing as a “reverse splitter” (someone with high GPA and low LSAT) since LSAT is under your control and you can work to raise it, whereas GPA is fixed once you’ve graduated.

Yeah I've heard that certain places like Chicago place more of an emphasis on GPA than others (e.g. Stanford). I took the LSAT last Saturday and I think I'm just concerned that the "test day penalty" pushing me 1-2 points below the median at my target schools. Hopefully I won't need to retake it but it's true that it's always an option.

120 karma

@eRetaker said:
    Median LSAT means that half the people in the class have below that score so why wouldn't you think someone with above the 75th GPA and 25th to 50th LSAT could be accepted lol

lol when you put it that way I mean it seems like your chances aren't too bad. I think that when you look at stats it seems like the mentality is "median or bust" and I'm guilty of thinking that way too. Nice to have some perspective sometimes.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@Traianus Yeah from the sound of it you seem like a strong candidate so just apply broadly and you should get some good offers. Off the top of my head, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Berkeley, and Cornell likes the high GPA applicants. Penn is a good example of a school that takes a lot of reverse splitters. They essentially fill their entire class with high LSAT/Low GPA and high GPA/low LSAT admits to obtain their high medians, as evidenced by their relatively low 25ths.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

As had been mentioned, GPA is the second most important aspect of your application. For some however, it is a part that is no longer within their control (unless they are in undergrad). There are schools that favor reverse splitters and put an emphasis on GPA but while you are still in studying for the LSAT I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on getting your LSAT score up and then you will get a better picture. Good luck!

120 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @Traianus Yeah from the sound of it you seem like a strong candidate so just apply broadly and you should get some good offers. Off the top of my head, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Berkeley, and Cornell likes the high GPA applicants. Penn is a good example of a school that takes a lot of reverse splitters. They essentially fill their entire class with high LSAT/Low GPA and high GPA/low LSAT admits to obtain their high medians, as evidenced by their relatively low 25ths.

Thank you, I'll definitely be applying to quite a few of those. Hopefully my LSAT score comes back where I don't split, or only dip below the median by a point or two. That being said, it's nice to know there's a place at very good schools for those of us who do :)

120 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    As had been mentioned, GPA is the second most important aspect of your application. For some however, it is a part that is no longer within their control (unless they are in undergrad). There are schools that favor reverse splitters and put an emphasis on GPA but while you are still in studying for the LSAT I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on getting your LSAT score up and then you will get a better picture. Good luck!

LSAT is done for now, hoping for good news on the 29th :')