Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone PT in a noisy environment?

mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
in General 938 karma
I know some people have stated that they PT in a library or in a coffee shop like Starbucks. I was wondering how many people here ACTUALLY do it. Is it only a few people. If you've taken more than one LSAT, and you took one while studying in silence and one after studying with ambient noise, did it help? I'm just curious. I finished the curriculum the second time around and going over all the old PTs I already did before jumping into new PTs. Soon I should be PT on fresh tests and was wondering what you guys might think/have done.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Ive taken in a library b4 that has had some annoying kids just sitting talking until another guy reading gave them enough of a hint they finally took notice... but Ive never taken one in a coffee shop nor do I think I ever will. (though I dont think it would be a bad idea to give it a shot) you never know what is going on at your TC so it is good to atleast be ready if not fully prepared for every environment.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    For my first LSAT I did all my PTs in a private study room in my public library. The walls were thin enough I could hear the hustle and bustle of the library but it was muted. The testing room I was in was pretty quiet so I didn't have much trouble. I've only taken 2 PTs for my second round of prep. Both I did in the main area of the public library, luckily it was relatively quiet both days, no screaming kids running around. But I did have my headphones in for my proctor app. I've studying some in a small local coffee shop but haven't taken a PT there yet. I couldn't focus that day. I think my next one I will do there. I guess there's no way to know until game day but I personally don't think its too effective for me.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I never PT'd in a coffee shop but I've done it at home during outside distractions such as neighbors talking outside or gardeners cleaning the lawn/etc. It's good to PT in both absolute ideal and distracted environments. I've heard of posters saying how the fact that their TC was TOO QUIET it threw them off and vice versa (of course).
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    oh yeah, my house lately has been very noisey bc of little kids running around so I guess that counts for something
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    I've done it.. taken PT's in a range of environments... Starbucks, a room with pin-drop silence, the library noisy floor, and once with heavy music playing in the backdrop... it definitely is a concentration building exercise... though the majority of my PT's were taken in the exact same setting as I'd have my LSAT... in a room with people working on desks. While prepping for the extreme is necessary... I felt that the bulk of the times, handling a test in standard conditions was the best way to go.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Yes, I've taken a few PTs in a loud cafe during a weekend rush. I agree with the above posters that it's always good to change the noise level and environments so you don't get used to any single setting and are able to train yourself to focus irrespective of your surroundings. If you do intend to take a PT in a very public area, my suggestion would be to make a little sign that says something to the effect of "TIMED EXAM: Please Do Not Disturb," as on a few occasions people have totally thrown me off on a particular section by asking to borrow a chair, watch their stuff, etc.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Yes, also if you download the 7Sage app you can use the proctor when you're taking a PT and you can adjust it so that you have background and/or distraction noise.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    excellent point @emli1000 I use it regularly.
    3462 karma
    It could be the same as if you're in a library or coffee shop. Because the app adds the noise for you. I must say that the first time it was really annoying lol
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Thank you everyone! It's awesome to hear your responses and experiences. I think it's important as many of you stated that, we need to PT in all kinds of environments. I've posted my story here plenty of times, and there were a lot more distractions than I cared for, on test day. Thanks again everyone :)!
    3462 karma
    Tapping of pencils, people with a running nose, and oh the person with the random cough, & people snoring lol.. you're never prepared for what could happen on test day.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited March 2015 938 karma
    @emil1000 yeah I could not expect half the things that would be going on. A high school debate in the class room next to mine, along with them sliding chairs around, using a mic, and constantly opening/closing their squeaky door (I was in the front of the class room, on the side closest to where their classroom door was).

Some people coughed, that didn't bother me, but the girl crossing out answers as if she was coloring a coloring book really ticked me off. I felt like telling her to stop. For her, it was probably subconscious and she wasn't doing it to intentionally mess with people, but still.
    3462 karma
    Also, people smacking on gum. We aren't allow to even have gum I thought
  • kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
    edited March 2015 66 karma
    I study in my pool house or one of the guest houses because my house could be noisy. But i find it to be too relaxing because I am facing a beautiful view and I know the TC wouldnt have that lol. In order to get used to crowded enviornment, I have tried to study at a semi-noisy enviornment such as FedEx in their laptop work station which was not too bad because they didn't have too many customers coming in and out.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @kendallM ... sounds good.. try take at least a couple in a Starbucks though... that's plenty noisy... and you might (I hope no one does) end up being in a situation like the one @mpits001 was in... this would be perfect training for such a scenario.