Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help!! 2nd LSAT score coming out after some school deadlines

akats1027akats1027 Member
in General 37 karma

Ok so long story short, I took the LSAT last year and I ended up not being ready for it and took it either way. I ended up keeping my score and it really was not even close to what I'm actually aiming for. Other than the fact that I made a bad mistake in keeping the score (I should have just declined it) I am now stuck with it. I am taking the January 26th 2019 test, two applications (schools) on my list are due on February 1st and February 15th. Is there a way to notify the schools that although my application shows one LSAT score, there is a second one coming? I am afraid of getting outright denied admission because they only see one score (which is a very low score in comparison to what the school is looking for) because the second tests' score will be coming out after the schools deadline. Can they pause my application even though i already have one score on it to wait for the second one?????? Or do I have to wait until next year????

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

I ended up keeping my score and it really was not even close to what I'm actually aiming for. Other than the fact that I made a bad mistake in keeping the score (I should have just declined it) I am now stuck with it.

I didn't know a pre-2019 LSAT candidate could choose to keep or decline his or her score -- unless you are talking about cancellation, which is a different matter.

I am taking the January 26th 2019 test, two applications (schools) on my list are due on February 1st and February 15th. Is there a way to notify the schools that although my application shows one LSAT score, there is a second one coming?

There may be a section on each school's application where you list your LSAT scores. Write your registered date and something like "000". For good measure, send an email to each school's admissions office about your upcoming LSAT administration after you submit your applications.

The best way to find out would be to call each school's admissions office, of course.

I am afraid of getting outright denied admission because they only see one score (which is a very low score in comparison to what the school is looking for) because the second tests' score will be coming out after the schools deadline.

Which "deadline" you are referring to, the application submission deadline or the last LSAT exam each school will accept for the current application cycle? If the former, some schools may accept LSAT scores that are released past the submission deadline. If the latter, nothing you can do about it.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

I asked someone from Powerscore about this and the information I was given was that the application deadline is meant to be understood that you should have taken the LSAT before the deadline and be anticipating a score. The rest of the materials should however be sent before this.
    Also, while applying late might hurt you in terms of acceptances and scholarships, it is advisable to apply only when you have your best LSAT score ready and available. There is lots of data pointing out to the fact that applying slightly late higher score is better than applying early with a lower score. Some people get into schools for that fall with a June score. That is not the usual case, but it could happen.
    Some schools also give you an option to hold your application until your score arrives. (This depends on the school and you should explicitly tell them to hold your app.)
    Sometimes when schools mention a deadline, they still continue to accept applications although you might be playing against the odds.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Your only option is to submit your application before the lsat, check off the box on the app that says you’re taking the lsat January 2019, and email to remind them to hold your app until your score. And yeah I agree you should call before any of that just to confirm they will accept a January exam.
    I wouldn’t recommend wasting time and money to submit apps just betting on your score being competitive for the school. I’ve heard of a few people PTing consistently in the 170s and then end up with a 164 lsat score. Or PTing in the mid 150s and end up with a 146. You’re not leaving yourself any room for error by taking the very last exam this cycle.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Some schools will allow you to submit your application and take the LSAT later. If you are anticipating another score, you can indicate this on your application under the "Standardized Tests" sections,where you can indicate that you are waiting for a January 2019 score.

For example, I have a score that I do NOT want to apply with, and I do plan on taking the Jan test. Under "Standardized Testing" I simply put January 2019 and leave the score section blank. This indicates that I am expecting a Jan 2019 score. I will have my apps submitted sometime during November.

Hope this helps :)

• akats1027akats1027 Member
    37 karma

@FixedDice Yes I meant cancellation!!! sorry my use of "decline" was off. And I will definitely make a call out to those schools, thanks!!

@MindyKale @oshun1 @lsatgodjk thanks for the feedback you were all extremely helpful!!!!!!!

• Kaleighns4Kaleighns4 Alum Member
    45 karma

@lsatgodjk Just read your post and I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. You can apply to schools without submitting an LSAT score and check a box saying that you're anticipating a January 2019 score? I do not want to submit my first attempt and I am taking the January test. So should I start applying without score? If that's possible.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2018 3256 karma

You can't keep them from seeing your first score. All scores get sent to the schools. No matter what, you'll be applying with that score in addition to your retake.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@Kaleighns4 said:
    @lsatgodjk Just read your post and I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. You can apply to schools without submitting an LSAT score and check a box saying that you're anticipating a January 2019 score? I do not want to submit my first attempt and I am taking the January test. So should I start applying without score? If that's possible.

They will see all your scores. What I said above is true for the schools I am applying to. If I were you, I'd communicate with the admissions at that school. My school's website literally says "You can apply now, and submit the LSAT later."