Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

158 to 168 in 2 weeks

get that 173get that 173 Alum Member
in General 122 karma

Hi guys, I just want to share some of my experience and what I did to improve rom 158 to 168 in 2 weeks, and hope this will help some of you :)

I started studying for LSAT back in June. My very first cold diagnostic was 163, I focused on CC and hoped that once I finish the CC I would be in 170 range. Well... That's not what happened.

The thing I didn't realize that until now is that LSAT is an actual EXAM, not a thing where you just use algorithm to solve. In another word, the skills you learned from CC should be used flexiblelly rather than mechanically when solving problems. I noticed that starting PT 70, LSAT LRs are significantly more difficult to parse, if you are like me who just mechanically use rules, then you'll have a hard time getting through the section under 35 minutes. You should definitely try developing your LSAT intuition as you learn, not just mechanically apply rules.

Drill by questions types definitely helps. I was frustrated and disappointed at myself for consistently missing 10 questions per LR section that's -20LRs per exam!!! Drill by questions types, read each explanation very carefully. If you don't understand JY's explanation completely, google questions and head over to Manhattan, PowerScore forums for helps. There's no such thing as the best explanation, you should study whatever that helps you.

Don't lose hope, and try to be hopeful. I thought I was never gonna break 165, but here I am. Everything is possible, given that you study right. And by study right, you have to figure out what method works for you, rather than mechanically sticking other people's method. It was definitely a long and difficult journey for me from June, but nonetheless I've learned so much from JY and all the 7Sagers here on the forum and in the comment sections. I couldn't do it without you guys. GOOD LUCK!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think I’m missing something- the title of the discussion says 158-168 in two weeks, but your cold diagnostic was 163 and you’ve been studying since June?

• get that 173get that 173 Alum Member
    122 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    I think I’m missing something- the title of the discussion says 158-168 in two weeks, but your cold diagnostic was 163 and you’ve been studying since June?

I started studying since June with 163 cold diagnostic score, but I was stuck in 158 range ever after I finished the CC...

• sillymansillyman Alum Member
    91 karma

NICE! I am having the exact same problem, where since I started in the 70s I went from -3,4 ish to around -10 in LR...What PTs did you use to drill? I don't want to burn material, but I feel like maybe its time to sacrifice some for more gains.

• get that 173get that 173 Alum Member
    122 karma

@sillyman said:
    NICE! I am having the exact same problem, where since I started in the 70s I went from -3,4 ish to around -10 in LR...What PTs did you use to drill? I don't want to burn material, but I feel like maybe its time to sacrifice some for more gains.

I drilled LRs from 10-40, but if you do a lot LRs from those, you'll notice the answers are very predictable... I think it's totally fine to take 10 PTs (say 60-70) and just to drill specific questions types. As long as you learn and understand, you are not wasting PTs.

• sillymansillyman Alum Member
    91 karma

@2018LSAT180 said:

@sillyman said:

I drilled LRs from 10-40, but if you do a lot LRs from those, you'll notice the answers are very predictable... I think it's totally fine to take 10 PTs (say 60-70) and just to drill specific questions types. As long as you learn and understand, you are not wasting PTs.

yeah I drilled with those, been doing sets from 40+, and I agree the answers are EASY compared to what I find now in the 70s. Thanks for the advice, I think I will do just that :D