Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why NOT to bring parents to admitted students day? - 7Sage Forum

Why NOT to bring parents to admitted students day?

TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member

I know I'm ahead of things even thinking about admitted students day. However, I've heard that students shouldn't bring their parents or any guest to admitted students day. Why is this so? Having any kind of companion to help me decided ultimately where I go to school is very important to me.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2018 13286 karma

One thing you’ll learn very quickly through this whole process is to just do what works for you. Ignore others, it does nothing but get in your way.

I know many people who brought parents to admitted students weekend. I know many more who brought their significant others.

It’s no. Big. Deal. Do you!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

If you bring your mother, tell her not to make the student-led tour stop and wait until she finds the alumni picture of her son (applicant's brother) and two brothers (applicant's uncles) who all went to the same school. I'm so happy that they were all on law review, but I can go see the student lounge now?

True story.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Personally I wouldn’t bring a parent along for the entire ASW because I don’t think I can properly assess anything while someone else is in my ear the whole time. I would also want to feel comfortable socializing with others without worrying about having to include my parents in every convo. If I was stuck between 2 out of state schools I would bring my mom just to the school tour part and to explore the town and housing. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it and I think it’s really weird that some people are so strongly against it.
    It’s nice to have someone who knows you who isn’t personally invested in going to law school themselves to check out the school/area with you. I think an outside party would be more rational about pointing out some negative aspects of the school while the applicant would be too caught up in the excitement of it all and getting fed too much “our school is the best” crap.

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Thank you for the advice everyone!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The general reasoning behind not bringing a parent is that it can make you seem younger, less mature. I only saw a parent or two between the 2 ASWs that I went to last year. As someone else mentioned above, I think it also might hinder some of your interactions during the open house, networking kind of events.

I also think that a significant other or parent would've been bored to death at a lot of the events haha. If I remember correctly though, WashU did have some separate programming for non-student attendees. There were a couple of panels about things like how to be supportive of a new law student, and I think some information about financing school.

A significant other would be a little less conspicuous and a better fit, I think. They obviously have a bigger investment as well, if they would be moving with you. It would for sure make sense for them to at least come and check out the area. Some people have suggested, and I think it's a good plan, that if you have a parent come with you, it'd be best if they maybe look around the campus or check out the area on their own while you attend the official events solo. What it comes down to is that for law school, as opposed to undergrad, everyone is older and been out on their own a while. Parents generally just have a smaller role in this. There will likely be a handful of parents at an ASW, but definitely far in the minority.