Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abandoning this cycle/dreams of law school altogether?

I'm gutted. My Nov score was 7 points lower than my goal, and my top choice school doesn't accept the Jan score. If I apply this year, even my chances of admission to the other schools on my list are very slim (Jan scores come out mid-Feb). I just turned 28. If I apply next cycle, I would be entering law school at 30 years old. This may be getting personal, but I want to move on with my life, have children, etc.

Would you guys advise me to apply anyway this year, apply next year, or change trajectories altogether? Feeling low and needing input. Any perspective would help. Thanks.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Depends on what you'd be doing if you weren't in law school.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

It's a kick in the gut, for sure, to have to wait. But how bad do you want this? Is it worth waiting a year for? You may want to reevaluate what it is you really want in life, and what you would be happy with if that year is just not worth it to you. No one can tell you if it is or isn't, but you. I will say that if you are dead set on law school at some point in your life, it will probably be easier to do when you are younger than when you have a family and a mortgage to take care of.
    Not saying what you should or shouldn't do. Just food for thought. You have to decide what is best for you, and what ultimately makes you happy.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Persevere to the end, my (wo)man!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Only you can decide what is most important to you. With that said, I know a guy who will be 47 when he starts orientation. Don’t let some predetermined notion of age influence your decision.

• rbgismyherorbgismyhero Alum Member
    35 karma

I'm feeling the same. No answers here.

• oldfashionedoldfashioned Free Trial Member
    35 karma

Although I read the discussion board frequently, this is my first comment. I hope my current situation can shed some light on your decision.

I'm a 45 year old physician who is considering applying to law school. A little over 20 years ago, I sat for my first LSAT and applied to law school as I was simultaneously applying to medical school. I was an undergraduate science major and my career trajectory at that time really pointed toward a career in medicine, but I was probably more interested in going to law school at the time. While I did well on the LSAT and was admitted to my preferred law school, I went to medical school instead as it seemed like the safer bet. Twenty years and 2 children later, I'm looking for a career change. Shortly after residency, I realized a career in medicine wasn't the perfect fit for me; however, life happens and rearing 2 children costs money. A career change at that time just wasn't feasible.

Although I'm 45, I certainly don't "feel" it. I feel like I did when I was applying to law school the first time, so don't let a fear of a certain age discourage you from applying later. I would be aware, however, that your options for which law school you can attend may not be the same as they are when you don't have children. You will not want to move your kids to another city for law school once your children are in school themselves.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you should do what you really want to do. If going to a top school is the most important thing, then maybe waiting a cycle to give yourself the best possible chance is the right route. If you want to start a family, there is no perfect time. It will be tough during school or in your first job after school. There simply is no perfect time, but it is the most rewarding thing I've ever done. As far as changing career trajectory, I would only consider it if your heart is not in this. I suspect it is, however, given the amount of time you have likely put in already.

This score is a tiny blip on the radar. I know it doesn't feel that way now, but it is. I took the November exam and scored lower than my PTs. I'll probably retake and apply next year instead of this year. Yes, that would make me 50 when I graduate...

In the end though, above all else, enjoy the ride. It won't last forever. I remember just finishing medical school and residency and being so focused on getting the next milestone accomplished. I didn't always take the time to look up and enjoy the scenery, but I'm getting better at it.

• cinthia.garzacinthia.garza Alum Member
    13 karma

How old will you be if you don't start law school in 2020? 30 still, no? I'm not sure if reconstructing the problem like that will make you see that regardless of your inner timeline, time will still pass. So if you want to go to law school, then go to law school. Aging is inevitable. I am 29, and as a female, feel the pressure to not be focusing on school, but instead on settling and raising a family, etc. but those things will fall into place. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it :)

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

Hey feel free to private message me if you want to talk more but I'll try to give you my perspective: I've had moments when I asked myself whether I should keep going or change course and I definitely resonate with what you are contemplating. But, I'm gonna be brutally honest with you and tell you this - it will not get easier. Regardless of whether you choose to apply now or not, law school is no joke. That's not considering the amount of stress and challenges you face as an attorney. I know you might not want to hear this, but it is true. I'm experiencing at hand a 1L at a top law school and the amount of work and stress lingers on. Age is just a number and I totally get that you want to move on with your life (because trust me, I do too) but it is almost impossible to excel in something without constant failure and persistence. The path to excellence is a rough one. It isn't a straight path, otherwise everyone would be doing it. You need to fail and fail again but get right back up if this is something you really want.

If I were in your shoes, I would take a couple days to really think about why you want to be an attorney. Remember the reason why you should keep going. If there is nothing that comes to mind then that's ok. You are young and you will figure it out. However, if you know the reason why and you get the momentum to get back up, I would wait until next cycle to apply. By then, you will have practiced to the point where you will most likely have a better score and then you can apply early to have a higher chance for admission. I totally get your concerns and can see where the private part of your life comes into play, but if there's a will, there's a way. Don't give up because you are afraid that it's getting late. I actually was in a dilemma a couple months ago similar to yours because I have friends graduating this year and I was comparing myself to them. I have my parents in one ear telling me that I need to just go to law school. I also have my inner self at times saying that I want to start a life and have kids, etc. But who says I can't have kids while in law school or later? Everything is meant to be. I remembered why I want to be an attorney. I'm doing this for me and no one else. What's one more year gonna do? If you really want this, it's worth waiting and putting in the work.

Do what makes you happy. Listen to your gut.

• progresstakestimeprogresstakestime Alum Member
    48 karma

Thank you to all who took the time to reply to this thread. I really appreciate it so much.

I almost took the LSAT in college, but was too afraid of failure, chickened out, and went into teaching instead. @AudaciousRed I think it was the dream of entering my top choice that really motivated me to fight through the self-doubt and apply this year, and when that evaporated this morning....well, I felt defeated. @10000019 and I would prefer not to go back to teaching, so yeah - I have no answer as to what I would do instead of law. Law is what I want.

@LSAT_Wrecker @oldfashioned Thank you. It is such a comfort to know there are other applicants who don't fit the (at least what I imagine to be typical) early 20s mold. I really appreciate you sharing your experience @oldfashioned. You must be right - there is no best time to start a family -
    and not much appreciable difference between 29 and 33! And I can easily see the picture becoming overly complicated with my kids' needs prioritized if I put this off until later.

I will take a few days to get my head back in the game and get back on the horse, with the goal of retaking in January. I'm not yet sure if I'll apply this cycle or next, but I figure I owe it to myself to at least leave open the option, and prove that I can (yes, persevere to the end! @tekken1225 ;) ). Let's do this @rbgismyhero! (because rbg is my hero too!!) and trust that things will fall into place @cinthia.garza

:) @oldfashioned wishing you the best in your studying and that you get into the school of your dreams.

• progresstakestimeprogresstakestime Alum Member
    48 karma

@jasminesade Thank you. I must have been replying while you posted! First of all, congratulations on getting into a top law school, and consistently persisting through failure to get there. I really admire you for doing that, and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I totally get where you're coming from - I have several friends who just graduated or will graduate law school this year, and my parents are definitely pressuring me to apply this year, regardless of the chances being so small so close to the deadline. It's really hard to feel like I am letting them down. Law has been in the back of my mind for close to a decade now...and this year felt like now or never.

But maybe it's just now or next year.

I am really going to think hard about what you said - and it's a good reality check - if I can't handle the setbacks now, how would I possibly handle them in law school? And applying confidently on the earliest date next year does sound appealing...

Maybe it's too soon to try to retake in January. I may need to rethink my study strategies and ease the pressure, not sure. I guess I'll have to take a few days.