Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score Improvement for January

bendrummond33bendrummond33 Alum Member
in General 96 karma

Just got my November score back and i got a 155. (RC: -9) (LG: -6) (LR: -18) I'm not too surprised as my average for my last three PTs was 157.5, so it was within my "+ or -- 3" area. I seemed to do slightly better than my usual LG (which is -8), on par with my usual RC (which -10) BUT unusually bad for LR (my average is -7).

For January I'd love to get to 159 or 160 on test day. Any advice on how to get through this last push? What area i should focus on? Has anyone else been in a similar position and made this improvement?

Comments

• MaitotoxinMaitotoxin Alum Member
    31 karma

I'm in exactly the same position with score. I suggest you focus on foolproofing logic games, as a -0 entirely attainable in a short time frame. I've been going through the core curriculum for logical reasoning to improve as much as possible, practicing logical symbol conversion in a split second is helpful. Reading comprehension at this point seems like the most difficult to change, as I average about the same loss as you.

• bendrummond33bendrummond33 Alum Member
    96 karma

@Maitotoxin said:
    I'm in exactly the same position with score. I suggest you focus on foolproofing logic games, as a -0 entirely attainable in a short time frame. I've been going through the core curriculum for logical reasoning to improve as much as possible, practicing logical symbol conversion in a split second is helpful. Reading comprehension at this point seems like the most difficult to change, as I average about the same loss as you.

Yeah I'll probably focus on LG and just doing more PTs, hopefully by Jan we can both get our test day score to the higher end of our PT spectrum!

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I'd recommend foolproofing whole timed sections of LG (try to do a new one and an old one every time you study LG as opposed to doing a whole section over and over until you move on. Check out the trainer for RC (but leave this for last) and do a section of LR every day you study, getting down your timing and making note of why you missed the questions you did (of course check whether you consistently miss certain question types and drill those if necessary). Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to improve by Jan!

96 karma

@"Victoria." said:
    I'd recommend foolproofing whole timed sections of LG (try to do a new one and an old one every time you study LG as opposed to doing a whole section over and over until you move on. Check out the trainer for RC (but leave this for last) and do a section of LR every day you study, getting down your timing and making note of why you missed the questions you did (of course check whether you consistently miss certain question types and drill those if necessary). Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to improve by Jan!

Really appreciate the advice and vote of confidence! As for PTs, do you think i should limit doing full PTs and focus more on sections?

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I think it depends if you have any difficulty with fatigue on full pts, but otherwise I would recommend so. I saw the most imrpovement when I would focus on timed sections as opposed to pts but sometimes it can be hard to translate progress to a full pt. I'd recommend the typical1 pt per week but definitely adjust as you see fit

• Juliana.VentiJuliana.Venti Alum Member
    edited December 2018 10 karma

I got a 155 too but LR(-5 & -7) RC(-8) LG(-14). I had the awful combo of LR RC LR LR LG and my brain just died for that last LG section...

Thanks for this post and everyone's suggestions! I think 160 is definitely doable if we focus on our weak sections. Good luck to us in January :smile:

96 karma

Right right, I imagine i can probably get through more volume just doing timed sections. I think i'll stick to one PT a week. And Juliana, I feel you. I had the same combo as you but got complacent by the second LR which i ended up bombing. I think 160 is definitely doable! Just gotta put the work in and BR like crazy (which i stupidly have been neglecting). Good luck to you!