Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Accommodations for people with physical disabilities?

hogan1081hogan1081 Free Trial Member
in General 6 karma

I was in a car accident about three years ago and am now a quadriplegic. I would love to go to law school to advocate for disability rights. I have been studying for the LSAT for a while but am confused about the accommodations I can receive because I am unable to use my hands. I called the LSAC and they told me I could use a scribe or request other accommodations. She could not tell me what other accommodations would be available such as using my laptop to take notes. I am concerned about having to use a scribe that I have never met. I think I would waste precious time trying to explain to them how I wanted to write my notes. Do you guys have any advice?

Comments

• Is there another accommodation that you think would work better for you? Perhaps voice-recognition software? If you can think of a reasonable accommodation that would help you out, LSAC will likely try to make it happen. Apparently, they are very lenient in accommodations right now because they got sued for not approving them fairly in the past.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

At the bottom of my post, I have posted a link that contains a list of accommodations available. Consider asking for anything on that list you think would be helpful.

https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsac-policy-accommodations-test-takers-disabilities/accommodations-may-be-available-lsat

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Maybe ask for a scribe along with additional time or stop the clock breaks (so you can stop to explain to him/her what you need).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe ask to speak to someone else there. Good for you for planning to go to law school to advocate for persons with these and other struggles.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

They can't tell you other accommodations, but they'll approve anything within reason that you and your doctor state are needed. For example, I brought a seating pad which is an accommodation that isn't listed by LSAC. Your doctor may have suggestions for you. You could request the use of your own scribe, perhaps a family member or friend, that way you can study with them throughout the process. Not sure if LSAC will pay to provide a scribe if you opt not to use on offered through them. If using a laptop would help you, it is definitely an accommodation you can request.