Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games help!

rationalbeingrationalbeing Free Trial Member
edited December 2018 in Logic Games 19 karma

Hi,

I've foolproofed almost all the games from PT1~current, with a few remaining fresh PT's.
I've done at least 2,000 games. I have no problem meeting the target time when I repeat games.
But whenever I face a new LG section, I go anywhere from -8 to -10. My cold score for LG was -10 (PT68), which I took two years ago. It's so strange that I have made almost zero improvement, although my conditional logic is much more solid than it was two years ago.
I know that there are patterns on the LG, but I have serious issues registering new rules into my head and pushing out inferences under time pressure. My brain really,really suffers whenever I see new logic games.
I've been doing almost only LG prep intensively for the last two months, but my LG performance is actually getting worse.
At this point, I'd be very happy with a -5 on the real thing.

Any help or encouragement will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I have never heard of someone legitimately fool-proofing 2000 games and seeing no improvement. I somehow doubt that what you're doing is real fool-proofing. I'd like to know more about your process - and be honest. Once you explain your process, then we can start to diagnose where the problems lie.

Also, I suggest that you film yourself doing logic games! You might find that you are wasting time in trivial areas such as diagramming, or brute forcing.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited December 2018 261 karma

The inference making process is something that can be damaged under pressures of time constraint. What helped me for this was literally putting my pencil down while reading the rules and forcing myself to think about how the game operates. Try it, it may do wonders for you.

Additionally, you want to work hard to ensure that you're not repeating inferences from memory. You need to understand the WHY of it all. Why is it that on an In/Out game [2 groups] you can represent conditional rules as hypothetical worlds? Etc. Don't just recite the textbook answer. Feel the answer in your bones.

Look into trying Sudoku! There are a lot of good apps for Android/iPhone, and it really helps with the thinking process in grouping games.

• rationalbeingrationalbeing Free Trial Member
    edited December 2018 19 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme

When I first did LG, I did 1~35 by game types. Then I learned of Pacifico's foolproof (4-time repetition) method and did this for 1~35 and for more recent PTs.
    My score didn't improve, so I have done a more intensive foolproofing method, doing at least 6 copies of each game separated out by longer intervals. For PT's 50 above, I have usually repeated at least 6 times per new game I encountered on fresh PTs.
    I do follow the standard foolproof method. I try to solve the game myself then watch the video explanation, replicate the inference making process. I include weekly, monthly intervals to re do the game and check that I can still perform well under target time.

What I struggle with is understanding new scenarios and seeing new rules interact under time. I do record my performances. It is very painful to watch myself solve new games so slowly and inefficiently.

I keep an inference/mistake book where I record my errors and what to avoid and implement in future games. Like if a rule only said that red cars cannot be consecutive, and during time pressure I mistakenly thought that green cars also cannot be consecutive, I write that down. Any mistake or hesitation I observe, I try to teach myself not to do it again next time. But the next time comes and I forget it.

@redshift

Yes, I think my inference making skill does get damaged during time pressure. I will try to put the pencil down and see how the game operates.
    I think your suggestion is what I must follow in order not to freeze in tough games. I usually forget to consider the tension points in the new games because I miss this process out of panic.

I'm worried because I already take too much on the setup and adding this activity will take away even more time. I am an especially slow reader when it comes to LG. I struggle to process and remember "at least one" "exactly one of each..." "seven items" "8 slots" phrases to determine the numerical distribution. I know lg requires minimum mathematics but I am really bad at processing and remembering numbers.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited December 2018 261 karma

You may want to use a visual notation if you can to deal with the distribution issue. For example, the other day I did an LG where there were 2 slots in each of three groups. There were seven elements. The numerical way to write that is: 3-2-2. I just wrote down a slot emoji thingy, circled it, and drew lines to each of the three groups to indicate that I have to distribute an extra slot somewhere. Test things out. If one of JY's rules for annotating doesn't quite gel with how you intuitively think about something, feel free to use your own. Sometimes I actually write out "at least two" etc.

Also, just believe that spending time up front will save you time later. Take it on faith. You have the data to show that you're not making the right inferences at the right time, so obviously your current approach isn't cutting it for your goals. Let that guide your confidence in taking a pause before hitting the question to knock out some inferences

• JO_OderahJO_Oderah Alum Member
    36 karma

I am probably not yet in any position to be giving you advice, because I am still working toward my own target score and I am still well under it, but I think I might be nerves. Maybe you should take a break from the LSAT all together for like a few days to a week. Just use the holidays to relax and spend time with friends and family, and then come back and study full force. It might be nerves and anxiety that are keeping you from reaching your target goal.
    I have tried this break tactic a few times for myself, and it works! Each time I come back stronger and more rejuvinated. There is a such thing as burnout...