Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking more PTs than 7sage lessons

needcoffeeneedcoffee Member
in General 29 karma

Hi guys,

I plan on following 7sage lesson plan all the way through. My question is can I/should I start with an earlier PT version?

For example, the first PT is from 2007(forget the number) in the 7sage lesson, but I have already bought tests going back to 1999 and plan on taking them all. I know you should work forward only with PTs and am thus wondering if I can start with 1999 and coincide it with the 7sage lesson. Starting from 2007 PTs may not be enough testing for the score I want and from where I'm at is my reasoning for this.

Sorry if that doesnt make sense.

Thanks,

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Yeah it's normal to go back and take tests. Take as many as you can. But, don't just keep taking test after test without learning from them, and thoroughly reviewing your errors.

There are some differences between old tests and new tests, like the one you'd be taking. One obvious example is the comparative reading comprehension passage (Passage A/Passage B) which wasn't invented until PT 52ish. Also, the games are a little different (some of the older ones are so hard though, and, with the old tests, you only get one page to work out your answers instead of two), and the wordings of the question stems are different. But yeah, go back and work forward. I would just recommend taking newer tests closer to test day.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

To echo @Louislepauvre 's point, feel free to take as many tests as you want to, but don't just burn through tests just because they are there. Each practice test you take should be looked at as a diagnostic tool. Take the test, identify areas of weakness, review and work on those areas of weakness, and then re-test only AFTER you have improved your skill set. Many test takers just take test after test without actually working to improve their knowledge base. Testing in of itself does not make you better (raise your score). Its the learning that occurs as a result of the testing and review process that makes you better.

Good luck!

• needcoffeeneedcoffee Member
    29 karma

Thank you both. Yea that's absolutely the plan. I just took that 1999 one and am pretty pleased generally after just a few weeks of 7sage. The blind review is probably worth the money alone. I'm working on that as we speak.

I guess I was just worried if the preset lesson in the curriculum was "anchored" to the PT that 7sages curriculum says to do. But it seems the answer to that is no, and test away! Of course while thoroughly reviewing before taking another.

Thank you both again.

• Rule No 8Rule No 8 Alum Member
    141 karma

I fully agree with the other two responses. I would add, as some food for thought, perhaps it would benefit you to take these early preptests focusing on using the habits in the curriculum. So, instead of trying to get the best score you can or go as fast as you can, to do the test using the strategies the core curriculum develops. Especially for reading comprehension. Really try to use the low res summaries and take 30seconds to review that in your head. Also, try to get used to skipping and identifying which questions you should skip. Really try to develop these good habits early even under timed conditions. These good habits will translate into higher test scores later as your knowledge base improves with it.The first time I did the RC core curriculum I didn't focus on utilizing these good habits and as a result I have picked up bad habits that are very hard to break. Obviously you know yourself best, but I just thought this might be something to think about for your early preptesting.

Best of luck!

• needcoffeeneedcoffee Member
    29 karma

Wow. That's huge. Thank you very much for that. I'll incorporate this into my studying and test taking immediately.