Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

translate from English to bi-conditional vs Not equal

paul.sellaripaul.sellari Alum Member
in Logic Games 61 karma

quick question, is it correct to say, when there are only two options (like an in-out game), to translate "a and b cannot be on the same day (or whatever it may be)", then you use bi-conditionals. But if there are more than 2 game boards or possibilities, than you translate it as "not equal"

Help

Comments

• get that 173get that 173 Alum Member
    122 karma

Let me take a shot at your question:

"a and b not both in" is basically saying that at least one of a/b is out. This is not quite how biconditional works. I come from philosophy background. Here's how biconditonal works in formal logic. biconditional is true if and only if two things agree on truth value so technically

F bicond F is a true biconditional.

On the other hand

T bicond F or F bicond T are false biconditionals.

However, F bicond F, T bicond F and F bicond T are all acceptable situations in "a and b not both in" So, I probably wouldn't set up the games using biconditonals, instead I'll just interpret it as at least one is out.

• paul.sellaripaul.sellari Alum Member
    61 karma

Not sure if i fully understand what you mean by false conditionals. I was always taught that to translate if and only if as bi-conditional, but here it makes sense to translate not both into bi-conditional. My question is that in some questiions 7Sage translates not both into bi conditional, and in other questions he translate it as Not equal, as in they cannot appear together.

I'm just wondering when to translate it as bi conditional, and when to use A is not equal to B.

thanks for your reply bud