Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just joined 7sage, but thinking of refunding?

hhhakobianhhhakobian Alum Member
edited July 2019 in General 89 karma

So I completed the LSAT Trainer on my own and thought, maybe I should do 7sage since it gets all these great reviews and it seemed like a great investment. But I found out that I can get all the LG videos for free and I can still use other aspects of the website without having to spend a dime...my question is it worth going through 7Sage curriculum if I've completed the LSAT Trainer since so far it seems very similar as it is in fact the same guy who wrote the book (JY).
Hope this doesn't offend anyone, I just honestly didn't realize there would be a similarity in the course and to anyone that's done both I was wondering if I maybe made a mistake? Thanks!
Edit: Alright Thanks for all the responses I will take it into consideration I have 2 weeks left before refund runs out. Thanks again!

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Never read the trainer but those aren’t the same guy. Mike Kim wrote the trainer. JY does vouch for it though.

Maybe start doing full timed PTs and see how you do? If you’re scoring in the 170s consistently, it doesn’t seem like you’d have to learn new concepts.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

As far as I know 7sage is the only site that has practice digital lsats for every test. It has the question bank option that allows you to sort through question types for LR/games/and RC. You also get video explanations for LR and RC for every test. Also I would recommend going through the core cirriculum for the games if you plan on using the free LG videos on youtube, otherwise you might get lost by the way he sets up games.

• hhhakobianhhhakobian Alum Member
    89 karma

Oh god I'm mortified. Does the basic bundle allow PT's like in the new digital format? that's what I have and I can't find it on the site tbh.
    Also why is your name Louis the poor? Thanks!

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

Uhm, depends on how confident you're feeling personally. I really like the digital test feature. . . access to all the PT's that are available... If for nothing else, the availability of questions, explanations, and other features for practicing is what truly sold me. I went through the CC... and can fairly confidently say that it is fairly rudimentary in terms of content. If you're familiar with logic and how it works, then much of the CC will be a refresher for you. However, the CC taught me how to apply my understanding of logic to specifically the LSAT.

I personally haven't began using the analytics feature (yet) but I've heard wonderful things about it. The most I can say is that if you're already considering refunding, then its clear you already have doubts about whether you need the study material. Now it's up to you to decide whether the confidence is faux or not. Best of luck :smile:

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

I went through the Trainer before coming to 7Sage. I purchased Ultimate+ for access to all the LSAT PDFs. To be fair, I work full time and although I didn't like the idea of spending the money when I had already gone through the Trainer, I was able to and ultimately I don't regret it. To be honest, I only wish I had come to 7Sage sooner, as I found it so much better than the Trainer -- though of course that's because this site is an all-encompassing community wrt the LSAT, whereas the Trainer is just a book...

You're right that the best part of 7Sage (LG videos and perhaps the discussion forums) are accessible without paying for a subscription. But I found the additional access to LR/RC explanations and question bank to be worth it.

I wouldn't recommend going through the whole CC, but perhaps start PTing and visit parts of the CC as you see fit or are curious to see it taught in a different manner than the Trainer.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    edited July 2019 264 karma

In addition to 7sage, I am doing other online live prep courses (blueprint and powerscore) to supplement 7sage. All I can say is, if I could choose to go back, I would get ultimate plus from the beginning. It worth the money, and it's the best value one (not saying the best one for you since everyone studies differently).

I did the starter with two times extensions already :( (I wish I have the extra $$ to keep extending the course before my September LSAT.) This is my experience. If you are thinking about which package to get start, definitely ultimate plus. If you are thinking about 7 sage or other prep course, that answer is: it really depends on the style of the instructor you like. Start from their free webinars and free courses, and see which course you learn the most from.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

@hhhakobian ... here are my two cents! This is a long response. The last paragraph explains why I chose to pay for 7sage in the first place. If you read nothing else, please read that. :)

I began using 7sage in earnest at the beginning of June to prep for the July 15 test. Similarly, I had already completed one full curriculum book (Kaplan's LSAT Unlocked 18-19) prior to coming to 7sage (and sat for the March 30 test, scoring a 155, up from my 148 diagnostic). The material and content is similar, but I think 7sage goes into more depth with each section of the test, beginning with a comprehensive overview of the type of logic the LSAT uses which was incredibly helpful for me, having never studied logic before. Kaplan's approach is extremely formulaic, as much of formal logic is, but JY's content is helping me develop my intuition, which is increasingly important as difficulty on questions and content rises. I also like the way JY conceptualizes things and comes to correct answers.

I haven't tried other online sites or programs, but I also really appreciate the interactive nature of the 7sage program, including its active discussion forum and user comments in each lesson/practice question. I am 12 years out of undergrad, and it has been a while since I sat down to study new content for a testing environment. I did fine with the book on my own, but I am making more gains having a learning community to bounce ideas off of. The discussion on 7sage are very collaborative, not competitive or snarky. Equally, users are not afraid to challenge one another which in the end helps everyone better grasp what we are all trying to master.

The online tools available through this site seem exceptional to me. The site itself is easy to navigate and personalize. Bookmarking content and notetaking are built in. The question bank and PT analytics are some of the most impressive features, in my opinion. All of the PTs that are accessible to your account (based on the level you are paying at) are available to you to either a) print and take as a pencil and paper test including scantron sheet, or b) use the digital testing platform. You can do PTs either way. If you print them on paper and use a bubble sheet (or just write on the PT) you can input your answers into the online tool. It will run analytics on the PT for you. Or, if you use their digital platform for PTs, they will automatically output the analytics for your test. I only have one completed (partially, did 3 sections as I did not want to fatigue myself before Monday and only got through CC last week) in their system, but I believe they will begin to run analytics as time goes on, monitoring your progress, where you need to improve, etc. For each question on the PT you can view the question type (plus game type in LG, and passage type in RC), difficulty level, and the level of priority you should place focusing on/reviewing that type of content.

On to the Question Bank. I still struggle with Sufficient Assumption which is both embarrassing and annoying so what I am doing right now is using the Question Bank to practice only SA questions. The Question Bank has several filter options on it to easily sort through question types and difficulty levels, and you can output them into different viewing options depending on what you like. Another feature of the Question Bank is that each question is labeled with what PT, section number and question number it originally was. That way I can avoid using questions from PTs I have not taken yet if I want to, so that those PTs are "fresh" for future takes.

I used all of the free LG videos in preparation for my March test. They were helpful but I admit, when JY explained inferences on the games, it made sense after the fact but I was not able to reach the same inferences on my own. LG is still my weakest section, but I have made a lot of progress since using the Core Curriculum, the 7sage fool proof method for LG and interacting with other users and their comments on the site. I went -6 on LG on my PT last week.

Lastly, the (free) 7sage podcast that can be found on Soundcloud is what actually convinced me to pay for an account. I highly recommend listening to episodes 1-4 before you decide to cancel your account. In these episodes, JY interviews high performers about various topics including strategies they used to study, strategies they used on the actual test, how they broke into higher scoring bands (including breaking through scoring plateaus), mindset, wellbeing and self care through the process and a lot of other great information. JY and the other educators on 7sage adhere to the pedagogy of learning that I really believe in- the idea that students can teach as much as teachers (and in some cases more). I have learned so much from these podcasts, in large part because of the information other users who have had success at the LSAT shared. I feel that way about the other users in general.

OK! Please DM me if you would like to follow up although I am sure I have already given you more than you wanted. Cheers and good luck.

kat

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

JY's videos are better than anything you will get from a one on one tutor, that is how good he is at explaining. I would stick with 7sage.

• 187 karma

I have gone thru LSAT Trainer and found it to be inferior to 7Sage. I believe there is no comparison at all.

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

Between 7sage and the PTs themselves, I probably spent 1000 dollars. As a result of this and my effort, I was getting close to full rides from top 10 schools, and half rides from Columbia/Chi/NYU. I eventually also got into Harvard but chose not to go. So yeah, it's worth it if you do the work.