Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jump in Score: Fluke or..?

msizzleeemsizzleee Alum Member
in General 183 karma
Hi everyone! :)

I've been really wary about taking the June LSAT mostly because I started the Ultimate Course in January and although I feel better about attacking the questions, I haven't been able to score much higher than a 158 (after about 3 practice tests). However, I took PT38 last weekend and scored a 164 and 169 with BR. This is shocking because in the over 2 years that I've been semi-studying for the LSAT, I've never been able to break 160!

So naturally, I was excited but cautious (even Googled whether PT38 was easier than the rest lol!). Just last week, I had thought about pushing back the test to October but now I'm thinking maybe I can do June.

I guess what I'm wondering is this: Have any of you gone up so suddenly in scores? If so, were you able to maintain this score increase or was that kind of the maximum score you reached?

Thanks!

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 3438 karma
    Congrats on the GREAT score... Test 38 is not really an easy test... I'd say it is tough as it has a BEAST of a game in the LG section perhaps one of the hardest in LSAT history... that one definitely makes top 15 if not top 10... hopefully this score jump remains consistent... my best jump was from 150 (my lowest score and my first PT after my diagnostic) to 159... so you're clearly in great shape from where I was! The conservative metric would be to look at the average of the last 3 LSAT scores... hopefully, when you give the next 2 tests and you are PTing around this range, you should be solid for that score band!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Congrats!!! Because the LSAT has to be standardized lest they open themselves to lawsuits for unfair testing practices, there's little to no fluctuations at all (which is great news for you!). What could fluctuate is if this test was easier specifically for you. I think it could be helpful to just analyze and see if there was anything about this test that made it easier for you (less parallel questions? science passage was the easiest instead of hardest?) and take note of that. However, even if you don't, what you should be proud of is the fact that you have the chops for a great score and really, that's all that matters :)
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Well it has been quite some time since January now. How long has it been since you last took a full PT? @msizzle27
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    edited April 2015 359 karma
    My worst LG performance was on 38, but so was my best LR, I think this is interesting for me because that is the inverse of my typical performance so I think on average the test was pretty fair and representative.

I have a 9 point spread between my best and worst PT, however my PT average is still 13 points above my diagnostic, and I was shocked that my first PT after this course was 6 points higher than my best score from the first 5 PTs I took prior to 7sage (but after using 3 prep books). I have maintained this increase, on average, through 10 tests and I just hit a PR (17 points above diagnostic) on the last PT. I usually experience a 2-5 point dip when acclimating to newer PTs (i.e from the 30s to the 40s, from the 40s to the 50s) but generally speaking, it is a steady but verrrry slow upward trend at this point.
  • msizzleeemsizzleee Alum Member
    183 karma
    @ddakjiking I started the Ultimate Course in January and finished in the beginning of March. Since then, I have been taking practice tests almost every weekend for the past month. But the last full length that I took prior to this past Saturday was two weeks ago.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 7965 karma
    @msizzle27 I would say you should be encouraged. You are exceeding your expectations and perceived limits. You should celebrate this success and study the lesson in humility it offers.

In likely projecting some subtext onto your question—are you asking whether you should get your hopes up? Whether you've underestimated yourself or your potential? Whether you should ride this wave if indeed the tide has turned in your favor (viz. to take in June versus October)?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions; you might be able to tell if any of them resonate[s] with you, but you probably can't definitely answer them yourself. I don't think anyone can. So I think the question becomes: should you press on? Set a new, higher goal and work diligently to achieve it? If you have even the slightest chance of advancing in this way—and nothing to lose in doing so, as is likely the case—then consider which path you're more likely to regret: working harder (and/or for a greater length of time) because you caught a spark and pushed the limits of your potential, or doing anything else. It's up to you (and Godspeed whichever path you take), but what you will gain in character by pushing and perhaps discovering your limits will last you a lifetime, regardless of quantitative results.

Finally, ask yourself: will a June sitting sustain your momentum while allowing enough time to prepare to your full potential in this season of your life? I believe you still have a good amount of time to make the decision, so perhaps revisit this question in a few weeks.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    As far as I know, a jump from a 160 to a 164 is like 7-8 cumulative questions more right. Perhaps you sort of had your "aha" moment these past couple weeks without noticing it. Like nicole mentioned, if you followed the proper testing directions, I WOULD be encouraged by this result!
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 812 karma
    @msizzle27 My advice is to never get too high AND to never get too low. I've scored as high as 178 and as low as 165. Theoretically, all tests are of the same difficulty. The curve of every test is predetermined based on experimental questions of past tests and what percentage of test takers got the experimental questions correct relative to that test taker's score (so say if only 45% of people who got a 170 got a certain experimental question correct, that question would be deemed difficult and LSAC has a certain number of these difficult questions in mind that they want to include.) Some tests play better to your strengths while others exploit your weaknesses (I am speaking from personal experience) I don't think there is any question you are improving and it is cause for excitement. It feels good to have your hard work pay off. Just don't get too hung up on the scores, focus on the errors you are making.

As far as taking for June, I would find out what the deadline to rescind your seat it is and not even worry about it until a day or two before. Focus each day on getting better. DO NOT CRAM to try and make the June cut. IMO it is best to take the time you need to gain mastery of the skills you need to reach your target score. You may find that when middle/end of may rolls around you feel fully prepared. On the other hand, you may not.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Congrats!