Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In out/grouping board set up with complex not both condition?

CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
in Logic Games 148 karma

Not sure how to word this but;

how do you all set up your in-out board to represent a not both rule when the rule has an and/or statement in it.

For example If A is in then B and C are out or vise versa.

If it was just A -> /B then I know I can put A/B in my out group, but I'm not sure how to represent it when there's an and involved.

Does that make sense?

Comments

• chicago234chicago234 Alum Member
    edited August 2019 163 karma

I wouldn't try to represent this on the master game board. (but still write the rule off to the side)

• ashr_613ashr_613 Alum Member
    45 karma

Why not try to put A/BC in the out column which means if B and C are in then A is out and vis a vis.
    If B and C are out A must be in so the rule is A/BC

When the rule is: A then -B or -C then that would mean if either B or C is in A is out. Notation would be A/B/(mini slash)C in the out column

Does this make sense?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

I'd split on this rule and be done with it.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I'd split on this rule and be done with it.

Agreed with the advice above. If the rule was just a simple bi-conditional then you could represent A/B in the in slot and A/B in out slot -forever apart. But because this rule is more complex than that, the better representation is a split. Make two copies of the master game board. In one game trigger the conditional -when A is in, and in the other game board you want to fail the conditional -A is out. Apply this rule to each of the game board, and scratch the rule out. You no longer have to deal with it.

• CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
    148 karma

@Sami @"Cant Get Right" I'll try splitting it then! I usually only split when I feel like I can get mostly solved game board afterwards, so splitting just for the sake of visual representation will be a new thing for me but I'm willing to bet it will take less time then me forgetting my rule and having to backtrack.

Thanks!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

For this type of rule I usually split and often find that I can make more inferences. So if you are looking at the game board where A is in and B and C are out can you make any additional inferences when scanning your rules? I often find when doing a split like this I then see something like another rule that would look something like: If D is in then C must also be in. So for this example, where we know C is out we would then know that D is out. Then you would take a look at your rules again and see if anything relates to D. If you have made all the inferences that you can that way than you would take stock of what is left. To add to this example, maybe you know that there is 5 people( game pieces) in the In Group and 3 in the Out Group. If you have just placed B, C and D in the out group, that would mean that everyone else has to be In. Now, all of the sudden your sub game board is complete. You would then look at your second game board where B and C are In and A is out and repeat these steps to see what inferences you can make.