Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Keep Trekking?

PrivateName44PrivateName44 Free Trial Member
edited August 2019 in General 9 karma

Looking for words of wisdom. Do I keep going and try to get into the October administration, or should I go with the score I have and try to be one of the first applicants? I had a 153 diagnostic, June I hit 167, July was 168. My PTs were consistently in the high 160s with a handful in the 170s. I know plateauing at 168 range was a lot of mental/caught up in my head/fatigue—I got a 177 on an untimed PT where I probably gave myself ~7 min per section longer. I also did a PT with my tutor by my side with help on probably 5-8 questions and I finished each section with ample time and a 179. Thoughts, feelings, general messages of kindness? Thank you in advance!

TO RETAKE OR NOT TO RETAKE
  1. ...retake?7 votes
    1. retake.
      14.29%
    2. do not retake.
      85.71%

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

An untimed PT and especially a PT where a tutor helped you on 5-8 questions is not at all indicative of what you should expect to score. You scored right at your PT average, which is the best you can reasonably hope for. If you can get your true PT average up, then retaking might be reasonable based on what your goals are. If 168 is at/above medians of your top choices, focus on crafting your application materials and applying early. If you need higher than a 168, study until your average is higher and then retake

• PrivateName44PrivateName44 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    An untimed PT and especially a PT where a tutor helped you on 5-8 questions is not at all indicative of what you should expect to score. You scored right at your PT average, which is the best you can reasonably hope for. If you can get your true PT average up, then retaking might be reasonable based on what your goals are. If 168 is at/above medians of your top choices, focus on crafting your application materials and applying early. If you need higher than a 168, study until your average is higher and then retake

Agree on the PT situation—maybe that came out wrong. I mention that because I do think with time I could overcome the timing block of the 35 min vs ~40 min. Showed me it wasn't an issue of not understanding the material, but an issue of time and overthinking, too. Both of which I think are curable with some mental rest and continued studying, rather just not getting answers right and not knowing why. I dont think those are indicative of what I expected to score, but a sign that for Oct/Nov and depending on PTs, I could reasonably hope to hit above a 170.

My question is slightly more pointed then on what you mentioned—given the chance to raise my PT average to around a 170, would it be useful to do that and apply later, or should I be happy with a 168 and try to apply right now. Which is probably a question for the admissions forum, too.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

A higher score a couple months better is definitely worth it, especially because the November LSAT isn't late at all