Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for reading stimuli with more focus?

Durt CobainDurt Cobain Alum Member
in General 54 karma

So frustrating to lose points out of carelessness. I try to keep it in mind to read closely, but I fail at it far too often. Any tips in this regard?

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

This is a hurdle for me. Honestly, it took the passage of time for me to focus more, but I still am not solid. If your mind is wandering while reading the stimuli you have to train yourself to block out thoughts and engage with the stimuli. I still trip up on this...but familiarizing yourself with the pattern of each question type, looking for conclusions, and reading it critically, while mentally summarizing in your own words is the best thing you can do for yourself. Take a section, untimed, and try the memory method with each stimulus. Vocalize what you read aloud without looking back, check, and repeat.

• Omid Sean HVOmid Sean HV Alum Member
    25 karma

Actively reading. Understanding and dissecting what you're reading rather than just absorbing it pointlessly. For RC I think you need to go back to the syllabus and work on re-learning low-resolution summaries.

• meghansavmeghansav Alum Member
    4 karma

For me, I have had to force myself to spend less time on social media and more time reading - books, essays, long news articles. It has helped. I think social media trains our brains to thoughtlessly skim and scroll and to lose patience with long passages (tl;dr). It's hard to flip the switch on for practice tests.

• elias7291elias7291 Alum Member
    269 karma

I try to visualize in my mind what i'm reading. This is especially helpful for me in RC when I read a passage with unfamiliar subject matter. The Eileen Gray is a good example of me visualizing the work that she did (PT 79, #2).

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2804 karma

Read a chunk of text and then turn away from it and try to put it in your own words. This is difficult at first, but trains you to improve your paraphrasing abilities and forces you to engage.