Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I attempt a fourth time?

ethanlgraham96ethanlgraham96 Free Trial Member
in General 5 karma

I’ve taken the LSAT three times so far. Before the January test, I had consistent PT scores in the 170s with a 167 as my lowest. Just got my score back- 162, which is the same as my last official score. I had a situation during the test where I had to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of logic games, which ruined the entire section, so this test feels like a flop.
Is it worth taking a fourth time? I’ve heard that looks pretty bad to a lot of schools, so should I just stick with my 162? Planning on applying this Fall for 2021.

Comments

• Sim SimmaSim Simma Alum Member
    168 karma

the bathroom run seems like a very very bad decision

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

I feel like you answered your own question. You had an emergency during the test: unfortunate bathroom break. That's unheard of even though I can totally understand why that could happen. Don't you think you'd have scored in your usual range had it not been for the lost time during LG? I think you do. It makes more sense to go for another round especially considering the fact that you're applying next cycle.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I think you should definitely take it again. I would write an addendum when applying to shed some light on why it is that you took it four times. As you noted above, one of your takes was skewed by your having to go to the bathroom mid section. The upside of scoring in the 170’s (which you were pt’ing at so are clearly capable of scoring) as opposed to a 162 are quite high. Worst case your fourth attempt you score in the 160’s I don’t think there’s a substantial marginal cost between taking it 3 times and 4 times. Even if you don’t end up scoring in the 170’s a mid to high 160’s (just a few points higher!) will open up a lot more doors for you.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• JWellcomeJWellcome Member
    95 karma

As someone who just received my score today, I support a retake! Be better than the test man, you got it! This test is a real bastard but you'll crush it.

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

LSAC is ridiculous insofar as they don't let you use the bathroom right before the exam, and expect you to have to hold your bladder for such an extended period of time (and lose points if you can't and need to go). Like, since when is having a strong bladder a requirement for law school?

But yes I'd support a retake for sure!

• H96 J.DH96 J.D Alum Member
    142 karma

Honestly majority of schools couldn't care less about how many times you took it. i know people who took it for 7 or 8 times and they still got accepted. Law schools don't care as long as you have a decent score. they always take the highest score so just go with it man. Do your best shot.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Yea 3rd and fourth take isnt that different. But from 162 if you can even get 165 huge difference and it def seems you can if your lowest was a 167

• Sim SimmaSim Simma Alum Member
    168 karma

@taschasp said:
    LSAC is ridiculous insofar as they don't let you use the bathroom right before the exam, and expect you to have to hold your bladder for such an extended period of time (and lose points if you can't and need to go). Like, since when is having a strong bladder a requirement for law school?

But yes I'd support a retake for sure!

Yeah, that's not true. Maybe it's been true in some cases, but for the January LSAT in Montreal (Sheraton Airport Hotel), we were all allowed to use the restroom just before the test.