Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling to Hit 160

CoolDudeCoolDude Alum Member
in General 57 karma

I've been having a hard time trying to reach 160. I do blind review, but I think I probably do it wrong. I think I may need more drilling and probably focus on my basics while blind reviewing.

Comments

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Well, what makes you think that you are doing your blind review incorrectly? Blind review is a very important step to improving on the LSAT, some people would even say that it is a necessary condition. During your BR, you should be going over the questions that you were unsure about. Separate the premises and conclusion, focus on parsing the answer choices, and make sure that you are 100% sure of your answer before you check and grade it.

Also, what is your section breakdown? Is there anything you notice that is really getting in your way of hitting those scores?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

what is your BR score?

• angeles.esteban15angeles.esteban15 Alum Member
    18 karma

How many wrong qs are you averaging per section?

• manvithamanvitha Alum Member
    23 karma

What I've learned is there is no reason to miss more than one question on the games section. In order to do this, you need to redo every game that you didn't score a 100% on. Every single game. This is the only way. When JY says 10 clean copies, he means 10 clean copies! I used to score 18 or 19 on the games, but after I started redoing the same games over and over again, I rarely miss more than one question, and I often get 23 out of 23. This should help you break 160!

• CoolDudeCoolDude Alum Member
    57 karma

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    Well, what makes you think that you are doing your blind review incorrectly? Blind review is a very important step to improving on the LSAT, some people would even say that it is a necessary condition. During your BR, you should be going over the questions that you were unsure about. Separate the premises and conclusion, focus on parsing the answer choices, and make sure that you are 100% sure of your answer before you check and grade it.

Also, what is your section breakdown? Is there anything you notice that is really getting in your way of hitting those scores?

I guess it's more that maybe I'm not getting to as much in-depth I think I am. I'm doing better in LRs and LGs. It's RC that's kicking my behind.

@lexxx745 said:
    what is your BR score?

Tends to be around 159 to low 160s.

@"angeles.esteban15" said:
    How many wrong qs are you averaging per section?

Around 6 to 8 on average.

@manvitha said:
    What I've learned is there is no reason to miss more than one question on the games section. In order to do this, you need to redo every game that you didn't score a 100% on. Every single game. This is the only way. When JY says 10 clean copies, he means 10 clean copies! I used to score 18 or 19 on the games, but after I started redoing the same games over and over again, I rarely miss more than one question, and I often get 23 out of 23. This should help you break 160!

I suppose that's where I'm going wrong. Though admittedly I am feeling more confident on LG as of late.

2891 karma

Okay, if its RC then that helps to narrow things down. I think that it helps to BR every passage, even those that you thought were easy or didn't miss any questions on. That just helps build the skills to make low-res and high-res summaries. In terms of when you are under timed conditions, some of the most helpful advice I got was to consider each paragraph in relation to the passage as a whole. For example, read the first paragraph and make a prediction about where the passage is going. If it starts out "Some scientists think that..." my prediction is that the author is going to tell me in the 1st or 2nd paragraph that these scientists don't know what they are talking about and then explain why they are wrong/what the right answer is. Keep doing that for all the paragraphs, when you read paragraph 2 take a brief second to think about how it connects back to paragraph 1 and how it might lead into whatever you are about to read in paragraph 3. This takes some time to get used to and it was hard to implement at first, but it made a big difference in my score.

As far as the other sections, I agree with what was said above. LG is the easiest to improve on, so I would really go after the fool proofing in earnest. If you can get to the point where you are averaging -0/-1 on the games section, that will give you more wiggle room to miss a couple extra questions in RC and still be able to pull a 160.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@jmarmaduke96, How did you pace yourself on RC passages while still being accurate?

2891 karma

@lsatplaylist Honestly, I know this will sound weird, I stopped trying so hard to pace myself. I used to have this idea where I should try to read the passage in three minutes, move through the questions in four minutes or so, and rinse and repeat. There were two main things that helped me with my timing (although it is still not perfect by any means). First, and I can't take credit for this, its @Sami's advice, but just give each passage and question the time it needs. Some passages will take longer than others, some will take substantially longer than others. There are some times where I will finish a passage and questions together in 6 minutes or less. Other times I put 10 minutes into a passage and questions and still try to come back on round 2.

The other big thing that helped was treating RC setup as being just as important as LG setup. When I see a new logic game I don't just scratch out the rules and jump into the questions. I always draw out my gameboard, try to split if it is possible, and force out any inferences possible. The questions usually fly by after that.

The same approach did wonders for me on RC. I take a lot more time with the passages now. Often ill take 3 and a half minutes to read a passage, frequently 4 minutes, sometimes even more. However, because I took that time to get clarity on what the passage is saying, I am able to cut through the questions much more quickly than I used to and with much better accuracy. Getting clear on what the passage is saying involves a lot of those steps I mentioned in my last post, such as predicting where the passage is going, evaluating each paragraph as part of the whole while you read, and doing a once over of the whole passage before jumping into the questions. I was really stuck at a place where I was missing -7/8 per RC section. Getting comfortable with those changes dropped me to missing about -3 per section on average. Obviously I still have progress to make. However, I don't fear RC like I used to lol.

I hope that helps, let me know if I can explain anything else better!