Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PDF Preptests taking almost an hour to load/save

Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member

This has always happened from time to time on my account at least but seems like it's been happening even more frequently these past 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do about this or is this a server-related glitch?

Comments

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited March 2020 5740 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:
    This has always happened from time to time on my account at least but seems like it's been happening even more frequently these past 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do about this or is this a server-related glitch?

Hi there,

I am sorry about that. That must be very frustrating. I tried to reproduce the issue but I was unable to. Can you try clearing your cache? (Here's how to do it: https://7sage.com/clear-cache/).

If that does not work, please let us know what type of device (Windows or Mac) you're using and what browser? We find that the Chrome browser works best with our site.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@"Juliet --Student Service--" said:

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

Hi there,

I am sorry about that. That must be very frustrating. I tried to reproduce the issue but I was unable to. Can you try clearing your cache? (Here's how to do it: https://7sage.com/clear-cache/).

If that does not work, please let us know what type of device (Windows or Mac) you're using and what browser? We find that the Chrome browser works best with our site.

@"Juliet --Student Service--"

I cleared cache yet it's still not working, Juliet. I'm using Windows/Chrome.

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    edited March 2020 852 karma

Hi there,

We can try to set the PDFs to be download instead of opening them on Chrome. Here how to do it:
    1. In Google Chrome, type chrome://settings/ at the address bar
    2. Type "pdf" on the search bar found at the top of the settings page
    3. Tap "Site Settings"
    4. Scroll to the bottom and tap "PDF documents"
    5. Tap on "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome"

You can then open your PDF files with your local PDF viewer (e.i. Sumatra PDF, PDF-XChange Viewer, Adobe Acrobat)

Please let us know if that helped.

1058 karma

@"Theo --Student Service--" said:
    Hi there,

We can try to set the PDFs to be download instead of opening them on Chrome. Here how to do it:
    1. In Google Chrome, type chrome://settings/ at the address bar
    2. Type "pdf" on the search bar found at the top of the settings page
    3. Tap "Site Settings"
    4. Scroll to the bottom and tap "PDF documents"
    5. Tap on "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome"

You can then open your PDF files with your local PDF viewer (e.i. Sumatra PDF, PDF-XChange Viewer, Adobe Acrobat)

Please let us know if that helped.

@"Theo --Student Service--"
    Hi Theo,
    Downloading takes just as long as opening on Chrome. Have you heard from other students experiencing this? I don't know what's happening.... I started downloading PTs 8 minutes ago and only a quarter of it has been received so far.... It's taking abnormally long which is crazy!

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    852 karma

Hi again,

I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this!

We haven't heard from other students that they are having similar issues.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this for you, unfortunately, we'll need more information. To help us narrow down what's causing the problem, here are a few things you can try:
    1. Open/download the PDF using a different browser or download manager (e.g. Firefox)
    2. Download a similar file size ~25MB from other websites (e.i. PDF, video, etc.)
    3. Use a different device.

Please let me know how it goes.

1058 karma

Hi again,

I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this!

We haven't heard from other students that they are having similar issues.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this for you, unfortunately, we'll need more information. To help us narrow down what's causing the problem, here are a few things you can try:
    1. Open/download the PDF using a different browser or download manager (e.g. Firefox)
    2. Download a similar file size ~25MB from other websites (e.i. PDF, video, etc.)
    3. Use a different device.

Please let me know how it goes.

Theo, sorry it took me a while to get back to you! I had to call up the technician in my area and the problem had to do with bandwidth! I'm in Asia so whenever I had these issues, I was accessing in the evening/a.m. in North America. When I tried the opposite, it worked just fine. Are you familiar with your server's bandwidth? When it took me almost an hour to load PTs, it was being downloaded 20~30 kbs per second! :( Nothing has been fixed but as of 11:15am local time/10:15pm EST, it's great. This shouldn't happen though, right?

852 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

Theo, sorry it took me a while to get back to you! I had to call up the technician in my area and the problem had to do with bandwidth! I'm in Asia so whenever I had these issues, I was accessing in the evening/a.m. in North America. When I tried the opposite, it worked just fine. Are you familiar with your server's bandwidth? When it took me almost an hour to load PTs, it was being downloaded 20~30 kbs per second! :( Nothing has been fixed but as of 11:15am local time/10:15pm EST, it's great. This shouldn't happen though, right?

Hi there,

Great! I'm glad you were able to make it work.

Our servers are online 24/7 at a 100% so that's not supposed to happen. If you are in China however, we have noticed that our site (like many others) is much slower there. If that is the case, we have found that using a VPN speeds things up considerably.

I want to make sure that everything's working for you. It would be a big help if you can also try accessing the videos during the evening as you've mentioned.

If you notice anything weird, please let me know.

1058 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

Hi there,

Great! I'm glad you were able to make it work.

Our servers are online 24/7 at a 100% so that's not supposed to happen. If you are in China however, we have noticed that our site (like many others) is much slower there. If that is the case, we have found that using a VPN speeds things up considerably.

I want to make sure that everything's working for you. It would be a big help if you can also try accessing the videos during the evening as you've mentioned.

If you notice anything weird, please let me know.

Theo, what's your e-mail address? Same thing happening all over again in the evening :/
    I have a picture to send you; it's about how long it takes to access 7sage. @"Theo --Student Service--"

edited April 2020 852 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

Theo, what's your e-mail address? Same thing happening all over again in the evening :/
    I have a picture to send you; it's about how long it takes to access 7sage. @"Theo --Student Service--"

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about that.

Thank you for taking the time to take a picture of your issue, we really appreciate it.

You can send us the photo at studentservice@7sage.com