Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this for me?

JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
edited March 2020 in General 996 karma

My first diagnostic, I scored a 134. I signed up with 7Sage and only had two months to study prior to taking the Feb 20, 2020 LSAT. My second dignostic few days before the big day was 142. I thought about not going in for the LSAT because I just did not feel prepared (for obvious reasons). But alas, my over zealousness kicked in. I sat for the LSAT. I did not feel good walking out of it because I was ill prepared. I knew that going in but like I said, I just wanted to give it a go. YOLO. Anyway, I received my score few days ago, and let me just say LMAO. I saw it coming a mile away. I scored a 143. I am looking at it this way, I improved by 9 points just studying off and on for two months. I now want to register for November 2020 and give myself solid seven months to study.

But here is the dilemma, this voice in my head is saying to drop this and work towards masters in Social Work. My end goal is to help people who feel helpless. I also want to help neglected children. I know I can achieve this goal by being a social worker but I am not a quitter. I had Loophole delivered to my house today. I want to pick it up and fix the errors and get better. I know I can get better but why am I feeling this way?

Comments

• RemmyRemmyRemmyRemmy Member
    9 karma

If you're so driven and actually improved your score by so much. I would really encourage you to keep plugging away. Perhaps with your JD you might be able to improve the lives of so many more people. That's how I look at it.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

@"Put In The Time Now" said:
    If you're so driven and actually improved your score by so much. I would really encourage you to keep plugging away. Perhaps with your JD you might be able to improve the lives of so many more people. That's how I look at it.

Thank you for commenting. Perhaps my morale is low and I feel this way because leaving something is easier than working at it. I will push forward.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    edited March 2020 396 karma

Hi there! I started out where you did (diagnostic in 130s) and also sat for the test this past November, under-prepared. I've been studying with 7sage since the beginning of the year and have made a lot of improvement and just signed up for the July test, but at that point I will have spent nearly a year studying for this thing, dedicating around 20 - 25 hours per week. If law is truly what you want to do, then it's going to take time, sacrifice, and patience. You would probably be ready for the November test if you're putting in a good chunk of time on CC and PTs.

That being said, if you are having second thoughts and are feeling drawn to another career path, you need to have a sit-down with yourself. Being a lawyer and being a social worker do both involve helping people, but in completely different ways. I think you should ask yourself the following:
    *WHO do I want to help?
    *WHY do I want to help those people?
    *HOW is the best way to help those people?
    Instead of assuming you'll be considered a quitter after taking the LSAT and having second thoughts, you might try looking at it as a sign that maybe your heart is pulling you towards something that may feel more in line with your goals. Either way, it's good to listen to your gut once in a while, and it's always "OK" to change course. Trust this old lady...that's what life is all about! Good luck in your pursuits and I wish you all the best!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4306 karma

Hey @JDream2020 ! I think what you are feeling is what everyone has felt at some point in their process. I know I definitely feel like that on some days and ask myself is it even worth it. As for your previous LSAT experience, don't give your mistakes power over you. You've learned from that, that the next exam you take (if you decide) that you don't want to be under prepared. The way I see it is, our thoughts don't control our actions unless we allow them to do so. Having emotions and negative thoughts is completely normal. Letting them take over your behavior, that’s the problem. When you believe you are what you feel and think, you lose perspective. If this is something that you set out to do and truly want to do, then don't give up. Change comes through continuous struggle and every step of this process requires sacrifice and struggling. Working through this, you will not only change your life but I truly believe many others. I'll leave you with this quote I say to myself everyday before I begin studying: "You can either let it break you or let it build you."

Whatever you choose to do-I hope it is something you love. All my best!

• GoVaCaMaDaAqNeGoVaCaMaDaAqNe Alum Member
    118 karma

my dad is a social worker and i worked for a bit at a domestic violence shelter with alot of social workers. its helpful work and in some ways more needed than the legal world--mental health issues especially associated with opioid crisis etc is going to be a very marketable and needed skillset so you'll be gainfully employed in social work field. i also think lawyers in many ways help victims of abuse and neglect and all kinds of helpless situations. frankly, i think the market is a little oversaturated with lawyers, but for me, the lsat and law school process is something i just need to do for my own personal, intellectual, and professional development. shoot i might go back to the social work field with a law degree! i went to school with a bunch of msw's (master of social work) and took classes with them.. already studying for the lsat is harder intellectually than those classes. legal education is much more rigorous and cerebral. but i respect the heck out of social workers. my dad provided for us and was a scout master and helped all kinds of people with his skill set. like has been said, it depends on a lot of different factors.

996 karma

@"Law and Yoda-Brandi" said:
    Hey @JDream2020 ! I think what you are feeling is what everyone has felt at some point in their process. I know I definitely feel like that on some days and ask myself is it even worth it. As for your previous LSAT experience, don't give your mistakes power over you. You've learned from that, that the next exam you take (if you decide) that you don't want to be under prepared. The way I see it is, our thoughts don't control our actions unless we allow them to do so. Having emotions and negative thoughts is completely normal. Letting them take over your behavior, that’s the problem. When you believe you are what you feel and think, you lose perspective. If this is something that you set out to do and truly want to do, then don't give up. Change comes through continuous struggle and every step of this process requires sacrifice and struggling. Working through this, you will not only change your life but I truly believe many others. I'll leave you with this quote I say to myself everyday before I begin studying: "You can either let it break you or let it build you."

Whatever you choose to do-I hope it is something you love. All my best!

Really awesome response. Thank you! Are you a motivational speaker? Because you're pretty good at it! I am going to keep the quote you said in mind and push forward. J.Y. has said this many times, "LSAT is a monster" and yeah, I will not let it defeat me.

edited March 2020 996 karma

@VaCaMaDaAqNe said:
    my dad is a social worker and i worked for a bit at a domestic violence shelter with alot of social workers. its helpful work and in some ways more needed than the legal world--mental health issues especially associated with opioid crisis etc is going to be a very marketable and needed skillset so you'll be gainfully employed in social work field. i also think lawyers in many ways help victims of abuse and neglect and all kinds of helpless situations. frankly, i think the market is a little oversaturated with lawyers, but for me, the lsat and law school process is something i just need to do for my own personal, intellectual, and professional development. shoot i might go back to the social work field with a law degree! i went to school with a bunch of msw's (master of social work) and took classes with them.. already studying for the lsat is harder intellectually than those classes. legal education is much more rigorous and cerebral. but i respect the heck out of social workers. my dad provided for us and was a scout master and helped all kinds of people with his skill set. like has been said, it depends on a lot of different factors.

I have always wanted to attend law school and this isn't something I just decided on a whim. I think the score kinda shook me. Social work is quite meaningful but for some reason I believe being an attorney, one has more say. It was really refreshing to hear about your dad's work and your experiences. Thank you for sharing.

• GoVaCaMaDaAqNeGoVaCaMaDaAqNe Alum Member
    118 karma

No worries good luck and God bless ; I’m sure you’ll do fine!