Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to working on reading ability?

sk144404sk144404 Core Member
in General 237 karma

A while ago I remember reading a post somewhere that talked about ways to increase your reading ability with respect to the lsat. The main takeaway was of course to take pt and drill. However someone had mentioned that reading certain types of supplemental publications could also help. The only recommendation I remember was The Economist; can anyone suggest other sources?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Scientific American may be one. Also, you might find the recent Powerscore podcast on RC helpful.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

As far as improving our ability to analyze arguments on LR and RC you're correct in my estimation in your assertion that previous LSAT materials will be your best bet.

As far as supplemental material I would suggest just reading more and asking yourself questions about the material you have read: main point, supporting premises, context, assumptions, fallacies etc. Of course this is difficult for novels etc, but novels can often provide us with the opportunity for a close reading/expansion of vocabulary, referential phrasing practice etc.. So this is the first skill we can pull from outside material.

The second skill we could pull from outside material is just being aware of different types of research and stories even vaguely.
    I have a running list of articles and topics that I have a feeling the LSAT will probably eventually make questions about that I share with my students. Here is one example from the NY Times about insects that learn "logic"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/science/paper-wasps-logic-test.html

This article has the makings of an LR question all over it imo! lol

Lastly, whenever I have a chance I recommend Douglas Walton's book "Informal Logic: A Handbook for Critical Argumentation" as I am absolutely convinced that the LSAT writers have read this book.

• WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Live Member
    79 karma

I need help with QUICKLY rephrasing the premise, conclusion in my brain and then making a QUICK assumption. It's taking me far too long to do that.

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

If you have substantial time before your set test date, I have an awesome reading list that can help. It can help you become familiar with complex language, ideas, and heavy use of referential phrases. However, if you have 4 months or less, just do LSAT material. I wanted to develop reading skills without burning preptests. So, I found authors (of law and philosophy) which help with this. I don't want to leave the reading list here, but if any one is interested they can message me.

• AhkneekeyAhkneekey Member
    66 karma

I've subscribed to Arts & Letters Daily (if you want practice with humanities based readings) and I also really like The Atlantic.

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

@BinghamtonDave Thanks for the recommendation! I tried find a pdf of it online to no avail - luckily I found "Informal Logic: A pragmatic approach" by the same author through my schools library. It's pretty good so far.

5254 karma

@WhimsicalWillow, Rereading stuff has helped me.

5254 karma

Though it's a work in progress.