Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just purchased 7sage after 3 months of using Khan Academy...need advice!

oreoval1115oreoval1115 Member
edited May 2020 in General 15 karma

Hi all! I finally (and literally) bought into purchasing a prep course given my history with standardized exams. I self-studied for the MCAT a few years ago and did not do very well. I thought I could tackle the LSAT with Khan Academy, but once I started taking the PTs, I began to trend down from a 150 diagnostic. My goal was to take the June LSAT, but I'm almost 100% going to get a coupon and my hope is to a least take it by August (although I don't necessarily have to rush to take it by then, but would be ideal before I start my 40+/week fellowship). I normally study 4-5 hours/day and would like to keep it reasonable (have a life outside of LSAT)--any suggestions on prime amount of time to study? I know there's the study schedule generator, but it's suggesting I study 60+/week. I don't think that's feasible, but would like to hear more from others.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can offer advice on how to use 7Sage having already had several months of self-study? Would love to hear from people who have been working with this for a few weeks at least, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• joeskatzjoeskatz Member
    42 karma

The reality is that the lsat requires many hours of study for the average person in order to be mastered. If you are averaging 150 or less, then you still have fundamental issues that need to be addressed. I would start by focusing on J.Y.'s lessons on fundamentals before going any further with testing, using the drills in the syllabus. It's extremely important to nail the fundamental concepts before trying to address specific weaknesses.

• oreoval1115oreoval1115 Member
    15 karma

Thanks for the response @joeskatz. I think that realization has finally hit and since I have lots of time to study (hoping to apply to law school next year), I'm probably going to go through the course with less emphasis on my goal as an end "time/LSAT date" and more emphasis on end "understanding". I spent hours reading reviews to make sure I was buying into something that has worked for people with a similar start. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but sometimes I read those and think "but I'm not sure that'll be my outcome or experience". I know I'll also have to have a more positive mindset moving forward, but I'm human and have a lot of those doubts.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Welcome to 7sage @oreoval2015! I, like you, self-studied for a few months before my first take last November, and realized very quickly that I was no where near prepared. I did take it (for experience) and did awful, but at least it led me to 7sage. I took December off and started the CC right after the holidays, studying diligently for 20 - 25 hours a week. I haven't skipped any lessons, I've done every problem set and quiz, and drilled the logic games problem sets multiple times. After five months, I'm just now hitting the RC curriculum. I agree with @joeskatz that the fundamentals section of the CC is crucial and I would suggest going through the Introduction to Arguments, Grammar, Introduction to Logic, and Advanced Logic curriculum in full. These were the most eye-opening for me and apply to all sections of the test. I haven't taken a full PT since I started, but I know I'm in a much better position than I was last year. This community is incredibly supportive and you've made a great choice. Good luck on your LSAT journey and I wish you all the best!

• embotchanembotchan Member
    10 karma

Hey @oreoval2015! I just also wanted to chip in my two cents because I did do the 45+ hour study gig for the past few months of my life because I wanted to take a "real" test when summer started. It was eye-opening in the best and worst of ways. It's definitely possible to study nearly 50 hours a week, but you'll be sacrificing time outside of studying. I think I nearly went insane from never going outside.

Score wise, I went from a diagnostic of 149 to testing high 160s/low 170s within three to five months just by Powerscore books, Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer, and several hours of suffering, but it honest to god sucked the entire way.

So don't do that to yourself.

I myself just started 7sage because I wanted to prepare myself for a proper studying method by methodically going through each section via a tutor (or videos by JY here). Take the time to carefully digest the material because you'll run into less problems later down the line. I have a ton of bad habits now with LR and LG because I tried to rush through the material in the hopes of meeting a short deadline. It's not to say that you won't test well if you rush through the material, but the chances of you doing better more consistently is the key.

Good luck!

• oreoval1115oreoval1115 Member
    15 karma

@OldLadyK and @emilykchan - thank you so much for your responses! I just got through the grammar and it was eye opening in those few lessons how much I've missed in just reading a stem or an argument. I'm going to start with a 25-30hr/week schedule and take time to get outside and still have a life. I'm removing the pressure of getting through it and will take my time until I fully understand core concepts. Again, thanks for the insight!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The Powerscore website has free study schedules you may find helpful. They're compatible with 7Sage. And/or there's study schedules on here.