Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

167 should I retake?

bananabread4bananabread4 Member
in General 12 karma

I took the July Flex test and scored a 167. I was pretty nervous, so I think I had a harder time than I would on my PTs but I was generally scoring between 166-171. My goal score was a 168/169 to hit the medians at most of the schools I'm looking at and a170 for my reaches. I plan on applying in early October so I'd need to take the test again in about a month (August) to get my applications in. Is it worth the time I would spend studying for a couple more points (and the stress of only having a month to study) or should I focus on other parts of my application? I have a 4.1 GPA and am looking at T20 schools.

Retake after 167 first test?
  1. Should I retake the LSAT?24 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%

Comments

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

you're looking at a 3 question improvement to get a 170. It's certainly possible depending on where you're missing points - If you have room for improvement in LG for instance it may be attainable through additional practice.

There are no guarantees though. In 2018 I got a 169 two attempts in a row - but not much changed by way of PT performance between those attempts despite my best efforts. My PT's were between 168-171. Scores are remarkably consistent across tests which is something to bear in mind. Some people hope for a miracle on test day which is simply unrealistic.

A 167 is about average given your PT performance - so if nothing changes between now and retest you can likely expect a similar score +/- 1 point

To almost guarantee a 170+ on test day you want to be consistently PT'ing at 173 or above. I would say 175 or above under normal conditions but with flex you can replicate test day conditions almost perfectly, so the variance between PT/Actual shouldn't be quite as high.