Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drills for Correlation and Causation?

arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member

Hi! Does anyone know what is the best way to drill for correlation and causation questions? I am having a really hard time grasping that concept even after going through the core curriculum. I need more practice. If you know of a list of prep test questions about causation and correlation OR if you have any suggestions for drills please let me know!

Comments

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

I'm actually wondering the same here!!

• sammmm93sammmm93 Alum Member
    233 karma

Not sure there's a list of C-C Qs to drill besides what's on the syllabus, unfortunately. What aspect of that concept aren't you understanding? Do you get how a correlation doesn't always lead to causation? Are you confused on how to strengthen or weaken a C-C argument? When I first started prep I struggled identifying that a given stimulus even involved correlation causation logic. Same with Phenomena stimuli so I made a list of phenomena indicators

• arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member
    112 karma

@sammmm93 Literally the last statement you made is my issue! I struggle to identify that a given stimulus includes CC logic. What worked for you? I did the core curriculum for that but when I do questions on my own I just dont get that its CC in midst of all the jargon. So, I feel like I need more practice on specifically the questions that have those logic.

• sammmm93sammmm93 Alum Member
    233 karma

What worked best for me was when I began to read to understand. IE reading with the purpose of understanding exactly what it is I was reading. Your comprehension should always be your priority (tho on certain Q types the degree of analysis varies eg MCs). You'll be surprised how much you read w/o actually capturing what the sentence is saying. This confusion is exacerbated with the introduction of new concepts, such as UQs and EQs, and focus on Q type strategies. A great drill for this is the Loophole's Translation drill. Essentially, it has you paraphrase every sentence after/as you read it. You can find out how to do it on reddit. Do a section a day for 2 weeks. This will help on pretty much every stimulus, not just C-C. The list of phenomenon indicators also helps. These can all indicate a phenomenon or correlation:

-An event
    -An occurrence
    -A %
    -A statistic
    -Comparative statistic
    -A Date
    -A Trend
    -A correlation

Typically, the stim will deal with a correlation and will directly or indirectly imply a casual relationship between the 2 things being correlated. Realize that most of the time, they're not gonna tell you "hey look this is a correlation. Therefore, A causes B." Make a list of causation indicators as well

• arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member
    112 karma

Thank you so much @sammmm93 This is really helpful!!