Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA Addendum

drm324drm324 Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Law School Admissions 10 karma

Due to financial reasons during my undergrad career, there were points where I was working 25-35 hours a week while attending class full-time. I also had to finish my 4 year degree in 3.5 years for the same reasons. My GPA is slightly above the median GPA for the school that I am targeting, but I do think if I didn't have to deal with those financial situations that my GPA would be higher. Do you think it would be beneficial to have a GPA addendum for such a case? I don't want to seem that I'm making excuses either. My LSAT is at the median score for my first choice school by the way. Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

It really depends on your GPA and the school. If you're targeting Yale law where the median GPA is 3.91, I don't really think an addendum will do much for you especially if your GPA is like a 3.92.

From what I've read, GPA addenda are best left for more serious reasons such as extreme sickness, mental health issues, or the death of a loved one, etc. I'm not saying your case wasn't "serious," but working while in undergrad is pretty common, so I don't think it will do you much to write an addendum. Again, this may depend on how high/low your GPA is.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I also think your resume should speak to what your potential addendum would be saying. They will be able to see that you were working 25-35hrs/wk during the school year, so long as you list that on your resume.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

If your GPA is right around median for your first choice, I don't think you should write an addendum. I agree with Alex, working during UG isn't uncommon and I don't think admissions committees would really do much with an addendum about it.

You'll be fine since your GPA is around what they want anyways. Best of luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

You should definitely not write an addendum if you're above the median.

• Hafsa KhanHafsa Khan Member
    edited September 2020 37 karma

I’m in a similar situation but my GPA is .05 below the 25th percentile of one of my dream schools. Any advice?

Also, do admissions officers account for difficulty in curriculum at different universities and colleges? My college had curves for very class so no more than X people could get a 4.0 in any given class.