Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC messed up my GPA

adimanm1adimanm1 Core Member

My undergrad institution and LSAC have the exact same grading scale. When manually going through how they got to the numbers on the report, it fits perfectly with the following:

I determined that LSAC considered four "U" grades, or unsatisfactory grades, to equal 8 total "semester hours" with a 0.00 grade. My undergraduate school does says these count for "0 attempted credits" and do NOT contribute to my GPA. It seems arbitrary that LSAC calculated these to be 8 course hours when my school counts them as none.

***This isn't a legitimate course. It's a ten-minute online training about taking books out from the library that is mandatory before graduation but kind of expected to be completed as a first year. Did not know it would be on my transcript. Instead of a 3.69 overall GPA, LSAC computed a 3.22 which decimates my overall GPA (I transferred with a 3.91 with equal course hours). I know I was lazy but wow, this seems extreme. Can I appeal this to LSAC?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    edited October 2020 3481 karma

Hmm I don't know that you can appeal it to LSAC directly because it sounds like they are just following their policy (and haven't made a mistake), but I recommend talking to your registrar about sending LSAC that context. They might be more likely to change your LSAC GPA if they hear this context from your school rather than yourself. Best of luck!

ETA: you should still definitely try to appeal it to LSAC and give this context though, but having your school back you up would help a lot too!

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Wow that seems really unfair and like a mistake on LSAC's part to me. They misread your transcript and that resulted in a really big change. I'd definitely go to your school first and get a letter from them or something and then bring it to LSAC.

• adimanm1adimanm1 Core Member
    55 karma

@noonawoon it does seem that they made a mistake. LSAC guidelines say that any non-credited course is not considered in the GPA. My undergraduate does not consider it a factor in my GPA either. "U" or "unsatisfactory" grades are specifically given to non-credited courses at my school. I think it's a miscommunication, if my undergrad put it under "NC" or "Non-credited" then it would be a different story.

55 karma

@kilgoretrout So far I emailed them with quotes from my school's website that refer to the course as non-credited and non-punitive. I even quoted and cited LSAC policy that says "Any non-credited course is not included in the GPA conversion unless the school finds it punitive."

I reached out to the school as well but good idea about a letter.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@adimanm1 Maybe you can try calling LSAC to give them an explanation or maybe email? That's a crazy drop in your GPA and I would clear it up because it definitely sounds like LSAC is missing the context regarding that grade.

55 karma

@karko2525 Yeah I am planning on it tomorrow. I've heard that they are not authorized to change anything over the phone and it's best to email them. I did email them and I hope that this can be resolved either by my own school or them.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@adimanm1 said:
    @karko2525 Yeah I am planning on it tomorrow. I've heard that they are not authorized to change anything over the phone and it's best to email them. I did email them and I hope that this can be resolved either by my own school or them.

What address did you email them at? I tried emailing them for an LSAT-related issue several times and never heard back. Given how swamped they must be this time of year I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the quickest to respond. Definitely try calling as well. Good luck

55 karma

@kilgoretrout Their generic email, forget what it is. Someone on reddit said that it's the best way to reach them because over the phone they can't do anything.

• 109 karma

@adimanm1 said:
    @kilgoretrout Their generic email, forget what it is. Someone on reddit said that it's the best way to reach them because over the phone they can't do anything.

That wasn't my experience.

I mailed a letter (with a stamp!) and got no reply.
    I emailed them and got no reply.

I called them and explained my issue and the rep was in the process of telling me to email them in the information when I interrupted her and told her I had already done that weeks ago. She asked me the date I had sent the email, I told her, and she said, "Ok, I see it here. You should have an answer in 24-48 hours."

I got an answer 4 hours later.

That tells me that the emails to arrive but they're just sitting in a massive queue and they would have sat there forever if I hadn't called. As soon as I called and had a human actually find the request, it was immediately dealt with.

P.S. They didn't change a damn thing.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@adimanm1 Did anything get sorted out from this? Were you able to talk with your undergrad institution or LSAC?