Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application "Hold"

So a school that is not really at the top of my list sends me an email today saying they "haven't yet made a decision" and I could send in supplemental information if I wanted. The 7Sage predictor says I have a 98% chance for admission. I applied here for a "safe" school. I honestly feel kind of manipulated, should I withdraw my application? Or any other advice would be helpful! I have already gotten into schools that are vastly superior in my opinion.

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

It depends on how much you value getting into their program. What sort of info did they want? Are they just yield protecting or do you think they genuinely want more information to make their decision. If it is yield protecting they may feel like they want some sign that you are really interested in attending and providing the additional information they mentioned might be that sign.

Also, how much superior in your opinion? Is that opinion just based on your own internal rankings or US News or what? Does scholarship factor into it? At the end of the day, is getting an acceptance and a potential decent or large scholarship worth the extra work they want from you?

I would think, if 7Sage gave you a 98% chance that either there was something on your app they considered a red flag or they are yield protecting.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    It depends on how much you value getting into their program. What sort of info did they want? Are they just yield protecting or do you think they genuinely want more information to make their decision. If it is yield protecting they may feel like they want some sign that you are really interested in attending and providing the additional information they mentioned might be that sign.

Also, how much superior in your opinion? Is that opinion just based on your own internal rankings or US News or what? Does scholarship factor into it? At the end of the day, is getting an acceptance and a potential decent or large scholarship worth the extra work they want from you?

I would think, if 7Sage gave you a 98% chance that either there was something on your app they considered a red flag or they are yield protecting.

Yeah I am guessing it must be yield protecting. I have never heard of this practice, but it definitely makes sense. I am not sure what they would consider a red flag so I don't think that would be the issue. By superior i mean the school i got into is ranked higher on every ranking but a lot as well as higher job placement, LSAT, GPA, etc. They didn't ask for information, they just asked me to send any additional info if i had it. I sent them an email asking about the hold and sending any extra info they may need, though none of it was information they didn't already have. Based on their response, it seems like they really haven't even reviewed my application, so maybe they are yield protecting. The school is definitely not really close to being a top choice for me, so I am not super offended by it i guess.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

That sounds like something not to worry about then. Great job on your other acceptance

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

They might want a "Why X" essay

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

@VerdantZephyr
    Ok. Thank you!!

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Alum Member
    656 karma

Based on the 98% and your application (it's only October) they want to know why you want to attend that school. They're probably thinking you wouldn't attend if accepted. It's very early in the application cycle and they know that you are likely applying to other, higher ranked schools. Don't take it personal. Remember class size is much more limited in law school. They're probably looking for a why 'X' essay.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    edited October 2020 638 karma

Do you mind if I build on this concept with another question? Because just a few days ago, I came up with a similar issue/question and was hoping someone could give me some input. If, for example, I applied to a school that has a 154 LSAT average with a 170, is there a possibility that they may not want to give me a scholarship for fear that I'm not serious about attending? As much as I'd love to pick up and go to the best school possible, it's not really an option for me. I don't want to kill an opportunity to attend a perfectly decent local by overdoing it. Does that make sense? Or am I just being crazy?