Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I change test dates?

kpozniak16kpozniak16 Member
in General 16 karma

Hello,
I did not think I would be writing this question but I am in a very strange place. I have been studying for the LSAT for many months but I joing 7Sage very recently. I am debating moving my test date from Nov to Jan, because I had plans to teach aboard strating in Jan but with the Covid situation being very unstable it is likely that I will not be departing as planned. I am personally, very torn about what I should do because if I take the test in Jan, I am worried I will be to late to apply this cycle but I could keep studying. (fyi not going for a T14.)
However, there is the possibility that even if I took the LSAT in Nov and applied this cycle, my travel and teaching would be pushed to Sept 2021 and I would have to defer admission. I have to make a decision about this before the 30 of Oct because that is the last day to change without a fee, however, I will not know about my status until the week of Nov 15. (same as test week...)
I would really appericate some advice on the matter and outside viewpoints.

Comments

• ClevelonClevelon Core Member
    72 karma

I have a similar dilemma and have thought about it quite a bit the last few days so hope this helps:

I’m leaning towards delaying my test and waiting a year to apply. I had originally planned on taking the October and November LSAT. I knew I wouldn’t make much progress in between but figured I’d have two chances to hit my average. I studied for four months total and discovered 7sage with two months to go and always wished I had more time to move through the curriculum, and especially to fool proof LG. I ended up 3 points lower than my average on October and now I’m realizing I don’t want to burn the rest of my PTs to cram for November and probably get a similar score. If I wait until next year’s application cycle, I can take February and April or April and June and I feel pretty good about adding 5-6 points to my score in that time. I too had been considering deferring anyway depending on the state of the pandemic. Im not thrilled about waiting another year but I know my application will be much stronger if I can apply as soon as they open next September and have several more months to raise my score.

If you’re not happy with where you’re scoring right now, I think there’s mostly upside to waiting until next cycle if it won’t significantly impede your long term plans. This seems to be an ultra competitive application cycle so January may be a bit late if you’re on the edge of getting in and/or want to maximize scholarships. You’d probably have to make a big jump between now and then to compensate for applying later. Even if next year is as competitive you’ll be stacking the deck in your favor with more time to raise your score and applying early. If you are happy with your scoring, you could consider taking November to get a first attempt out of the way and re-evaluate when the score comes in.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2020 8318 karma

Kind of hangs on your scores vs goals. January isn't great but I'd still say great outcomes are likely with the right numbers. Some schools pitch that their deadlines are all that matters. The increase everyone's panicking over only means a lot more people are applying early. Whether the overall applicant pool for the cycle increases and if the early numbers have an effect on outcomes remains to be seen. What I recommend - and what I'm doing - is letting your scoring call the timeline, not the other way around. If I hit my goal averages, I'll test. If I post my goal score, I'll apply. If its "late" I'll throw a late app in... maybe get a nice acceptance, worst case be ready to go as soon as apps open. I was getting full ride offers at lower schools while riding t14 waitlists into July last cycle.