Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If below median by 1 point

tmh5947tmh5947 Member
in General 313 karma

If I’m below a schools LSAT median by one point, but have a strong gpa, does that make up for it?

Comments

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    edited October 2020 470 karma

I'm not exactly sure what kind of answer you're looking for.

Yes, it makes up for it in the sense that both GPA and LSAT are important, so if one of them is "low" or below median, your chances at admission are helped considerably if the other is "high" or above median.

But no, it doesn't make up for it in the sense that below median is below median, and therefore would pull down a school's median LSAT just the same whether you are below median by 1 point or 5 points.

That being said, while schools are obviously hyper-aware of their numbers, I would have to think that their review of candidates is more sophisticated than simply thinking of them in "below median," "median," and "above median" buckets.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@MIT_2017 is correct. They will absolutely contextualize your application and using your above median GPA to balance a splitter with an above 75th LSAT is something that, in general theory, they'd be happy to do. You're certainly in the mix. If you don't have any crazy softs or extensive work history the predictor tool should be helpful.

• LegalSeahorseLegalSeahorse Member
    60 karma

I've heard that for most schools, your LSAT score is considered on a spectrum that is +/- 3 points, so you are nearly as competitive as someone who is 3 points above you. This was during a webinar from a dean of admission at a top 30 law school.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@LegalSeahorse I would take that with a very large grain of salt. That might be entirely true about applicants, but rankings matter and they will absolutely view someone with an LSAT score two points above you more favorably. The other thing to pay attention to in that statement is that it says plus or minus. They have no idea which way it goes, and so are likely to default to the score itself. This is not to say that people a point below are not competitive, just that the actual number very much matters to law schools for rankings purposes. Particularly since it is a median system, they need to counteract anyone below with someone above their goal.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

I agree with @VerdantZephyr Your LSAT is not disqualifying, and your GPA will help. That being said, this game is cruel and you are below the median. You are likely a competitive applicant, making it absolutely worth applying, but you will be on the fence. That's just how it be.