Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR advice

calexa123calexa123 Member
edited November 2020 in Law School Admissions 19 karma

I graduated in 2019 and have worked for the past year in Finance. I was able to get a letter from my current work manager. I understand having an academic letter is important. Over the past month, I have emailed ~10 professors whose classes I have done well in, as well as a few career and pre-law advisors. I have only received 1 response and they said they were too busy and now was not a good time. What should I do? I was hoping to apply before Thanksgiving, but that is looking less likely. I can get another letter from a previous internship supervisor, but that would leave me with 0 academic letters. Should I apply with 2 professional letters and apply earlier, or delay applying and hold out (hopefully) for an academic letter?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

You could always reach out to your previous internship supervisor and have that letter as backup while you wait for a professor to send a letter. I have heard that it can seem like a red flag for a recent grad to have 0 academic references. How much it impacts your application probably largely depends on where you are applying, what your stats are in relation to the medians, your softs, etc.

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

Definitely reach out to everyone again, but I believe if no-one else, someone in your schools career services office should be able to write a LOR for you.

• cat.casacat.casa Member
    168 karma

I thought about doing the same thing, but then I remember seeing some schools actually required at least one academic letter.

• calexa123calexa123 Member
    19 karma

Would it be ill-advised to write an addendum explaining my lack of academic letters, should I decide to only submit professional letters?

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@calexa123 Yes this addendum would probably be ill-advised. What would you put in an addendum?