Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling overwhelmed!

malloryatxmalloryatx Member
edited November 2020 in Law School Admissions 77 karma

Hey y'all. I am starting to work on applications in addition to studying to retake my test in Jan. I'm a non-traditional student, working 50+ hrs a week so time is not on my side. But I also don't have anyone to go to for questions/advice in the application process. Are there any resources you'd recommend to get through the application process without having a mental breakdown :)

Comments

• Prayfor_mePrayfor_me Alum Member
    119 karma

Take it one day at a time lol. I am open to reviewing essays as well. But theres a group me link I can message you that may help as well.

• Daniel YehDaniel Yeh Core Member
    10 karma

I'm in the same boat, working 40+ hours a week and studying after work + on weekends. I'd honestly recommend the 7Sage Admissions Course. It's like $10 and totally worth the money from what I've heard/experienced so far.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited November 2020 2054 karma

Same. I am taking a break from LSAT studying to apply. I scored lower than I liked and am retaking for better scholarship consideration in Jan but focused on apps for now. Studying for the LSAT was so much easier and more enjoyable than application prep is for me. The LSAT had clear goals and expectations and followed logic. I am horrible at telling stories about myself and this PS/DS writing is miserable. My first draft not only sucked it was 5 pages single spaced. Where is the magic writing button?

Also, strongly agree with @"Daniel Yeh" about the admissions course.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@malloryolwig said:
    But I also don't have anyone to go to for questions/advice in the application process.

You have us! In addition to the admissions course already recommended, check out the podcasts from 7sage, PowerScore and Spivey Consulting. Easy to listen to on your commute, while working out, or otherwise preoccupied.

I went through a fairly successful cycle last year that involved several hurdles... non-trad, work issues, C&F, kids, family move, re-taking, waitlists, etc.. Ended up outperforming my numbers at the time. I also had no local guidance so had to do extensive research on my own and spoke with a few admissions consultants and professors at target schools. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

• buiztolawbuiztolaw Core Member
    38 karma

@"Daniel Yeh" said:
    I'm in the same boat, working 40+ hours a week and studying after work + on weekends. I'd honestly recommend the 7Sage Admissions Course. It's like $10 and totally worth the money from what I've heard/experienced so far.

Does this course focus on US schools only or does it cover Canadian law schools as well? Thanks 🙏🏼

• A.BilenkeyA.Bilenkey Member
    143 karma

@buiztolaw said:

@"Daniel Yeh" said:

Does this course focus on US schools only or does it cover Canadian law schools as well? Thanks 🙏🏼

I'm fairly sure it's just US schools. I don't know for sure but I briefly looked at it until I saw a comment from JY I think saying its only US schools responding to this exact question.

• KelSager777KelSager777 Alum Member
    edited November 2020 16 karma

I feel you

• Hey Mallory! I totally understand where you are coming from, I have a list of resources I send to people that have things like books, podcasts, and blogs you can check out, I would be happy to send it to you!

• disindexdisindex Member
    57 karma

@"A.Bilenkey" said:

@buiztolaw said:

@"Daniel Yeh" said:

I'm fairly sure it's just US schools. I don't know for sure but I briefly looked at it until I saw a comment from JY I think saying its only US schools responding to this exact question.

Also in Canada. lawapplicants.ca is pretty good to help with Canadian schools. It's free and helps break down the application for each school.

• malloryatxmalloryatx Member
    77 karma

Thank you for all the words of encouragement! Actually starting the applications has been really helpful now that I can see the actual breakdown - if that makes sense. I also sat through an admissions panel today that gave a lot of great info!

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I agree with the above, the resources on 7sage admissions are great. Also, I would be happy to give some of your documents a proofread if you want!