Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying Advice

legallytiredlegallytired Member
edited November 2020 in Law School Admissions 442 karma

hi guys!

so im awaiting my november score like a lot of us, and i am trying to think of what i should do based on the score i get, so i can be ready when i see it. i was thinking that if it is 164 and lower i want to retake, but in that case is it too late to apply if i take it in january? or should i skip this application cycle and apply for fall 2022? because i have read a lot of mixed things with some saying it is alright to apply at that time and others saying that february applicants rarely get scholarship money, which i really need.

thank you in advance.

Comments

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

Really depends on your GPA and where you are wanting to apply. If you applied to a school that you are above the medians, i am sure they will come up with money for you. Maybe reach out to those schools and let them know your situation, they can put a note on your file. 164 is a great score, but it also depends if you are trying to get into a T-14 or top school. I hope you did well on you November!!

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I would not apply that late to any school that does rolling admissions

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@legallytired I am in a similar boat, but will definitely apply this cycle regardless of my November score mainly because I have already taken a year off and don't want to wait any longer). I think if you have the option to apply for fall 2022 and your November score isn't where you want it to be, you should definitely wait to apply next cycle. That way, you'll have ample time to further prep for the LSAT and maybe even bump your score up more! You'll also be more prepared for 2022 applications and can probably apply earlier in the cycle. As for the January LSAT, I really have no idea because I have heard so many mixed thoughts on it, but it seems like it would be late for scholarships. Some people have said January is totally fine, but maybe they were referring to people who simply seek admission rather than admission + generous financial aid. I agree with @TimeIsMoney in that 164 is an amazing score, but of course if the schools you're looking at require something higher, it doesn't hurt to put off applying :) Overall, you've got options so just wait for your November score and decide where you want to go from there on the day of score release. Good luck!

620 karma

@noonawoon just out of curiosity though, have you heard of people applying in November, but registered for the January LSAT? I appreciate your insight and you seem very knowledgeable so I was wondering what your take on that is. I took the November flex, but I am a bit worried that the score won't be where I want it to be. That said, I will be applying regardless this year so I'm wondering if I should register for the January LSAT just in case I do need to re-take. I know some schools put off reviewing your applications if they see that you are registered for another one and other schools just review what you do have on file so I am not sure what to think

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@karko2525 That's super school-specific! Some in the app ask you if you want to have your app held till a future date. Some schools say they won't wait for anything (test scores, LOR, etc) and start reviewing the app as soon as it's submitted. Try to look up a school's policy for holding apps for future scores (and email admissions if you can't find that)

I imagine you wouldn't get much of the early application benefit by submitting in Nov and asking them to hold till Jan (if they do) because either way they won't look at your file till they've already admitted a lot of other people. The only benefit would be having all of your application materials put together?

You can also apply to some schools after Nov and apply to others after Jan. Maybe your Nov score will be super competitive for some schools on your list and then less competitive for others.

620 karma

@noonawoon Thank you for the insight! I am planning to apply to my safety schools by November. I figured I will get all my applications ready and decide what to do for the other schools on my list when I get my November flex score. Hopefully it's competitive enough for my target and reach schools. Thank you again :)

• legallytiredlegallytired Member
    442 karma

@TimeIsMoney i will definitely see what i can do with reaching out to schools. thank you for your advice, i appreciate it and thank you!!

442 karma

@noonawoon ty for the advice! i think i am leaning toward not applying at that time

442 karma

@karko2525 tysm for the advice! i appreciate it and those are all extremely great pointers to consider. whether or not to apply after the january exam is definitely is one of those questions that gets mixed answers.
    i hope that you get the score that you want for the november exam and wish you the best of luck on your application process :). thank you again

620 karma

@legallytired best of luck to you as well! I am sure everything will work out in the end :) Crossing my fingers that our November LSAT scores are up to par!