Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting to the 170s

tsukkimoodtsukkimood Core Member
edited January 2021 in General 18 karma

Taking the January LSAT and have been PTing around the mid to high 160s and have only ever broken 170 once. I struggle the most with RC (avg -7) and I think I've hit a slump on my improvement. I've tried slowing down my reading, speeding up, highlighting etc. but I just can't find something that makes the section click. Does anyone have tips on how to really make the jump to the 170s?

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

What are your section strategies? For example, do you leave time to come back to questions you are unsure of? Do you skip questions you know you have a really hard time with that you can save time for in the end to come back to and give them a better look instead of rushing through them? There are a lot of strategies out there. It seems you have a great understanding of the material if your PTing in the mid to high 160's, but to break into the 170's it is really about the minute details regarding strategy.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited January 2021 905 karma

This might not work for you, but I just worked through the Powerscore Reading Comprehension Workbook and its drills really helped me go from a -10/-14 to now a -2/-4 on RC. I think the drills helped me to adjust how I was reading and to be less 'lazy' in using the highlighters as a crutch. ??? Now, I just have to drill to not revert to my before-lazy ways.

And I have been hoping that Ellen Cassidy would release a 'Loophole in LSAT Reading Comprehension' ... but not yet, boohoo. Bet that would have some great drills if it ever does exist for future testtakers.

As I'm working on digital section drills (v in the book with a pencil), I'm trying to only use the underline tool minimally - and then make a rough-draft outline on paper for everything else. I realized I was struggling to see past all of the highlighted bits in the passage and that was affecting not only my comprehension, but going back to look for passage reinforcement.

We'll see, though!!

(and in a weird note, I'd bought their book set in a black Friday sale last year and I'm so excited to not have wasted money on it - that I actually USED it!!, woohoo!!)