Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the "foolproof method" equivalent for Logical Reasoning? Is there one?

Basically, how do you study for the Logical Reasoning using a strategic and structured method akin to the foolproof method? I am currently focused on Foolproofing but will be start back on LR soon. I have already finished the CC a while ago and was consistently getting around -8 which was my starting point anyway. I also have the Loophole and will go over it one more time since I rushed through it back in November. I would like to know what other effective strategies people have been using for LR before I start focusing on the section again.

Comments

• 476 karma

Hello,

I found the blind translation from the Loophole to be the most helpful, to be honest. The first time, I tried a couple of blind translations and gave up on the writing. However, I found the vocal blind translations to be easier to manage so I have been practicing that. Initially, I would not get to 5 or 6 questions before time was up. However, I took a trial PT (I know Cassidy repeatedly said not too :)) and I finished it within time. So I give that strategy all of the credit.

• moniemadridmoniemadrid Member
    edited January 2021 179 karma

@Bagelinthemorning What do vocal blind translations entail?

• 476 karma

So you would read and cover the stimulus you normally do but instead of writing the stimulus done, you verbally recite the blind translation and record it. You mark the questions you want to check back on and then move on. The goal is to get your timing below 20 minutes per section.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

@Bagelinthemorning Thank you for sharing! I think my main issue with LR is that I get too lost in trying to remember everything in a stimulus instead of just focusing on the conclusion and premises. However, I definitely think the loophole strategies (especially translations) work but I just need to mentally commit to it with actual practice. I'll try translating sections and see how it goes.

• 476 karma

Yes, and I found that it helps me to count the sentences as I commit them to memory. I have a finger up for each premise and I count down as I recite it verbally. Otherwise, I lose track of how many premises there are. Hope this helps!

• June LSAT RetakeJune LSAT Retake Core Member
    102 karma

what is the blind translation? Does this mean reading the stimulus, covering the answer choices and predicting the answer in advance?

• 476 karma

Hi, it's a system developed by Ellen Cassidy. You read the stimulus. And you can can reread parts of it, but when you hit the last sentence you cover the stimulus. After that, you recall and speak out lound or write the stimuli. During your review, you check whether you got the stimuli in whole or record what parts you missed. This exercise helps you to pay particular focus when you memorize future stimuli. For example, I tend to forget the last sentence, so I keep in mind to pay attention to the last sentence.

If you are writing down the stimulus, the challenge is to get it below 35 minutes. If it is verbal recall with a recording device, it is below 20 minutes. You don't solve the questions during this exercise to save on practice material.

I also want to add that it may be challenging at first. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes for a full stimulus in the first try. Although this might be in the higher end of the scale and you might not be in the same situation, I just want to add it for encouragement. Once I got it closer to time with the writing and vocal, I noticed it gave me the speed to go through a timed section on an LR to have some time left over at the end.

The Loophole book also has other great offerings and I would highly recommend it!

• 476 karma

I meant to say 1 hour and 20 minutes for a full section

• lennono88lennono88 Member
    edited January 2021 105 karma

I've found it useful to go through tons of questions and after answering them timed, go back and treat each stimulus like a labeling exercise. Label premises, conclusions, etc, underline words that indicate OPP/OPA, or serve to pivot from context to the actual argument. Highlight qualifiers/modifiers, anything that makes something "weaker" or "stronger".

If a question stem asks you to strengthen, go back and think about how it could be weakened, and vice-versa. On every Parallel and Parallel Flaw question, write out why each answer is wrong using whatever made up notation you would use while taking the test live. I've gotten down to -1/-2 on every section by basically just breaking down every stimulus, and explaining why the wrong answers are incorrect during BR.

Oh, also make question packets of everything you either get wrong or flag because of uncertainty. Do a few packets of those "challenge" questions and the real thing starts to feel alot easier.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    edited January 2021 314 karma

@lennono88 This sounds like a good strategy and great way to get better at understanding the different parts of the stimulus and structure!

• Sailor Moon LSATSailor Moon LSAT Member
    200 karma

@Bagelinthemorning for writing it down, does it have to be handwritten? or can it be typed? I feel like that would impact the time it takes, no?

• 476 karma

It is handwritten. It does impact the time, but the reasoning was that we tend to remember material we write by hand in contrast to the info we type. It is definitely possible to cut back time though. I did not get 35 minutes, but I got around to 45-50 minutes per section. After this, I began the vocal recitation and that was more manageable.

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

@Bagelinthemorning How often do you go back to check your recordings? I found writing out my translations takes forever and my hand really hurts, so I started saying them out loud but not recording them.

• 476 karma

Yes, I found writing them to be too time consuming too, but I would highly recommend the recording. It allows you to go back and check if you got it right. You don't have to check every stimulus, just the ones you are uncertain about. When I practice, I write down the question number of the stimulus I am unsure of (could be anywhere between 5 to 7). Then, I would go back to the stimulus on the recording to check. If I missed something, I would jot it down (was it the premise? conclusion? middle? end? or beginning?) I did this to find what I would consistently miss and why (usually ending). This was helpful because it reminds me to slow down near the end and reread it a few times to commit it to memory. Also, this was helpful in the loophole because, if I could not remember the conclusion, how can I find the gap between the premise and conclusion? So it was definately helpful in this regard.

Let me know if you have any questions!