Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to increase study time

wendy282wendy282 Alum Member
in General 42 karma
I'm currently studying 3 hours/day. I really need to increase my study time to 6-8 hours/day to finish the work I need to improve my logical games, LR and RC. I'm studying LSAT full time, but can only put in 3-4 hours/day before I'm mentally exhausted. If you have any suggestions about how to increase my study time and still absorb the information, would you let me know?

Comments

• nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    You will most likely build stamina as you study but be careful not to get burnt out. Taking breaks is very important (even if it's just 15 minutes). I can't tell you how refreshed I feel after that 15 minute break during a PT. Given the amount of different topics to study I would also add that when you begin to notice fatigue switch to another idea. For example, LG to LR, valid argument forms to causation logic, or drilling problem sets to reviewing what you have already done.

Keep in mind, however, that you may not need to spend that much time studying. Quantity does not always equal quality. You can spend 2 weeks blowing through 15 PTs but if you never stop to learn from your mistakes then this can be irreversibly harmful given the limited amount of raw material. You need to tackle the LSAT in not just a work-hard way but also a work-smart way. I have certainly learned this myself and had to adjust my study habits to be more efficient and not necessarily longer in duration.

Lastly, attack this SOB. You could be very surprised at what your WILL can do for you. When I start to feel fatigue I find in myself two impulses: one productive and the other not. You can probably guess what they are but the productive one says FIGHT and the other says "not so much..." Keeping this "I am going to destroy you" attitude will propel you beyond those moments of fatigue and when you get to that other side your mind may be opened up to new potential.

-"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence."
  • wendy282wendy282 Alum Member
    42 karma
    Thank you so much!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Dane gives a lot of great advice there. I find LG studying to be really fun and I don't think that RC needs to be studied directly as much as a lot of other people think. I think once you have your logic and reasoning fundamentals down it's all about drilling, PTs, and especially BR. It sounds like you should not study more than five days per week. I'd break it up into three daily sessions of two to three hours to keep from burning out. Make sure to exercise everyday, perhaps between study sessions, and definitely take a step back when you feel the burnout coming on. Also, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep to help cement the information in your brain. If it mentally exhausting then you're either overdoing it or you might just be struggling to really understand something because I think understanding leads to lower stress levels since it's not as difficult to apply what you've learned. Personally I'm into yoga, which allows for a lot of meditation during my practice. I'd recommend at least some meditation to reward your brain for its hard work.
    42 karma
    Thank you so much!
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    edited July 2015 217 karma
    Not advertising for the use of prescription drugs, but if you go brain dead every day after that 3-4 hours and you just can't get any more information in, then, you could be dealing with concentration issues that can be helped with meds. Doctors, having had to take the MCATS, are very sympathetic to patients (i.e. LSAT students) who literally has to study but just can't focus more than a short time before they burn out for the day. I see burning out for the day (which I go through everyday) and burning out (this is more post Spring Break with a plate full of classes still ahead of you) as two different things. There are so many non-addictive, non-stimulant, non-amphetamine options....Just a thought, if you are still having trouble with concentration after trying non-medicinal techniques.

PS: Don't shoot the messenger.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    http://www.nootrobox.com ... Just to drop a bomb into this discussion. I'm not sure what to think of this sort of thing yet.

And I think needing a break after 3-4 hours of intensive LSAT study is normal for everyone; that's probably the max for any given sitting, if we're talking day in/out. I'd recommend adding a morning session. Or at least take a minimum of an hour away and do something relaxing or physical.
    217 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:

And I think needing a break after 3-4 hours of intensive LSAT study is normal for everyone
    For sure. I get approximately 6-7 hours a day, but I subtract at least an hour out from total study time to reflect the small frequent breaks I know I take.

I also keep track of my study time everyday, and then try to do a little better or at least as good the next day. I set small goals everyday to keep me involved with not only the material but the learning process.
    42 karma
    Thank you for the comments!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I study 8 hrs a day and take a short break every 90 mins. I also put my phone on "Do Not Disturb" mode so I can get everything done while I'm at the library.
    8021 karma
    @emli1000 can you put exceptions on the Do Not Disturb mode? I have tried to use it before and I still got disturbed so it seemed like either the feature didn't work at all or there is more to setting it up than just turning it on from the control center. My wife is 36 weeks pregnant so I can't put it on airplane mode anymore and I'd like to be able to PT without having my computer always be the proctor.
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    There are so many non-addictive, non-stimulant, non-amphetamine options....Just a thought, if you are still having trouble with concentration after trying non-medicinal techniques.

Such as?
    edited July 2015 3462 karma
    @Pacifico ah, well congrats to you and your wife :) usually only calls from your favorites will interrupt you. So I would just put anyone who may need you asap such as your wife and/or maybe your job. Usually if someone calls you that is not in your favorites it will not ring or make any noise but you will be notified when u check your screen. But if they call a second time, their call will not be silenced. Just go to settings and go to "Do Not Disturb" and change your "Allow calls from" everyone, no one, favorites - you should check on Favorites. Then on the bottom turn off "Repeated calls" that way if anyone calls you back -to-back their calls will remain silence, except if they're in your favorites.
    8021 karma
    Cool! Thanks for the tutorial @emli1000
    3462 karma
    @Pacifico no problem
    edited July 2015 217 karma
    @"juan_name" said:
    Such as?
    @juan_name Non-stimulant: Strattera, Intuniv, Kapvay.
    Stimulant (non-amphetamines): Metadate, Concerta, Daytrana, Ritalin, Methylin, Quillivant, Focalin

More information here: http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-medical-treatment

And here is a thread where people are discussing abuse and non-abuse of ADD/ADHD medications. https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196402
    7965 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    Concerta, Daytrana, Ritalin
    These are still stimulants but not in the exact same family as amphetamine-based medications.
    7965 karma
    And you will need to see a psychiatrist or perhaps a primary care (the latter is not recommended). Too many people taking these medications that do not need to be taking them. Not without risks or secondary effects. Proceed with caution and consult the appropriate medical professionals. In other words, do not play with fire, as many people have.
    217 karma
    My perspective come from seeing a psychiatrist every 3 months and primary care physician, regularly. I understand that many people do not have this luxury. Here is a link for adult ADD symptoms: http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/10-symptoms-adult-adhd. I do take meds but they were prescribed by my psychiatrist for excessive sleepiness and trouble concentrating during my undergrad work. My grades sky-rocketed! All the other meds I was on were not fixing the distractibility that comes with my own...issues...

@nicole.hopkins you are so right! Too many people take meds that are not prescribed or prescribed to someone else. I would only go the meds route if you see a consistency in your ability (or lack there of) to study. Is there a pattern? Or do you just need time to adapt to the rigors of LSAT study sessions. If the material is boring you into mental exhaustion, then that is not a problem for a doctor. AND Be VERY honest about what you are doing when you speak to your doctor! Tell them exactly what you are seeking and why.

If you are an alumni you may be able to use your school's on sight counselor as well as speak to someone in disability services that can help you figure out ways to extend your study time, as well as screen you for possible medical intervention. If you are an alumni don't feel bad about utilizing your schools services. Believe me, you paid for them. Best of Luck to you!!!