Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for me

hosseingold29hosseingold29 Free Trial Member
in General 50 karma

Hey guys . I hope you are well.
I am an international examiner and this is just 7 months which I started to learn English.
I have conquered LG ( -1/-2 per section timely )
I score 16/17 from 25 in LR timely ( -4/-5 after BR )
And I have just started working on RC . You know for strengthening my reading skill I read books in English and now I can solve almost all of the RC's questions(at least of medium passages ) untimely and I fear what will be the results on time condition!
For now what is your recommendation for getting better on LR or RC by knowing that I will register for Aprill or June and I wanna apply for 2024 and my international GPA is 3.4 and I need a full-ride scholarship and so better ranked school is more interesting and I wanna show my best on Lsat!
Best wishes !

Comments

• pnwrunnerpnwrunner Alum Member
    100 karma

Continue improving your comprehension of what you're reading. Make notes on paper, untimed, about whose argument is whose, what is being argued, what are the premises, is there an argument, etc etc. Get comfortable translating what a paragraph says into your own words and understanding. Again, first on paper and then progress to only in memory or at least with only a few notes. The Atlantic is a good source for more dense reading that offers, in my opinion, grammar and sentence structure most similar to the LSAT. New York Times op-eds are great too. Really, anything that's making an argument about a subject.

• hosseingold29hosseingold29 Free Trial Member
    50 karma

Thank you!

• qjiayi26-1-1-1-1qjiayi26-1-1-1-1 Alum Member
    44 karma

Hi, I am an international examiner as well. I kept practicing untimed test for the past couple months, and my accuracy improved a lot (my score usually range from 165-170). I have been blind reviewing with a study buddy I found on 7 sage, and that really helps. (I only got 140+~150+ when I started.)
    Now my study buddy and I are going to take this Jan test. I hope I can do well, but I also know that the result probably can't meet my expectation due to my current reading speed.
    Let me know if you want to study together (blind review together) if I actually would not do well in this Jan test.

Thanks.

50 karma

At the first I hope that you will get your best in this exam , however I am so thrilled to blind review with you guys …

• elias.christensenelias.christensen Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2023 37 karma

Hey there! RC is generally a difficult section to improve on for many people, but you're doing the right thing by reading outside of your studies as well as the test material. As you get more comfortable with RC, I suggest you start doing sections with limited time—maybe 1.5x the default time, so you have more time with the material but are still getting used to working through a section under time pressure. As you get used to taking timed RC sections, give yourself progressively less extra time on them until you hit the default time of 35 minutes. You'll still want to do as much as possible pulling info out of the passages and questions untimed in blind review, but this way you can also get a sense of how to use your time effectively under pressure on RC.

Once you're in blind review, try to really pull apart and analyze each passage, question, and answers. Keep track of what viewpoints come up where: not just the author, but people, organizations, groups, documents, etc. Think about not only how to summarize each paragraph, but also its role in the passage as a whole: is it arguing a position, providing context, laying out evidence, addressing an alternate perspective, etc. Also, when you look at questions and answer choices, take note of whether they're telling you to look for something said directly in the passage (explicit) or hinted at/plausible based on the passage (implicit), and whether the scope of the question/answer is about the entire passage or one piece of it.

Above all, though, be patient! Improvement in Reading Comprehension is a gradual process, and you've given yourself plenty of time so long as you work at it steadily. If you're interested in a personalized game plan for your studies or looking for more help with testing strategies, you can schedule a free consultation and talk it over with one of our expert tutors here: https://calendly.com/7sage-tutoring/7sage-tutoring-free-consultation?utm_source=FCA_A

50 karma

Thank you so much!