Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth studying LR questions from PT 1-35?

I found many Level 5 questions from PT 1-35 not only difficult but annoyingly silly. Also, looks like many do not even have an explanation video on this forum?

Comments

• ryan.lattavoryan.lattavo Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    109 karma

SmokyMountainBear,

You're definitely picking up on the 'old' way LR is done. As you can probably tell, the newer PTs--usually the 40s and beyond--become much more standardized in regard to the question stem and methods of solving questions than the older PTs. Feel free to skip these in your drilling and PTs if you feel that they aren't helpful

However, one thing I will note is that these weird and unusual question stems do test the same things that the newer PTs test. Therefore, if you want a really good place to challenge yourself on the material, the old PTs are a way to do it. If you can get those LR right consistently, you're going to be in a great place for the new LR, which seems more standardized and consistent.

You're also right that we don't have video explanations for these. However, users often post questions about them on this forum, and many tutors and others have written extensive explanations on a lot of them. If there is a specific question you were having difficulty with, let me know and I'll help you answer it!

Hope this helps,

Ryan

• B_MaximumB_Maximum Core Member
    edited March 2023 192 karma

Hi, Ryan.
    I benefited from you explanation.
    As an aside, I am currently "rechallenging" all the questions answered incorrectly in completed prep tests (I.e., PT 1-63), starting from PT 1 (Currently on PT 5). I strongly believe that, by rechallenging these questions (untimed), my understanding of LR in general and certain concepts, methodologies, and the like in particular has been strengthened and refined. I have a very detailed journal for all sections of completed Prep tests (I.e., PT 1 through 63). So, I have no problem or trouble with going back and finding all of the misses.

For example, I had completed Prep test 5 around late October and scored 9/25 on the first section of LR. However, yesterday, I re-challenged all of the questions that were answered incorrectly, and my score increased by 8 points (17/25). And I consistently scored -1 to -3 on PT 1, 2, 3, and 4 thus far.

I am planning to sit for the exam in September.

My Word of The Day: Patience