Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are other busy folks managing their study schedules?

valoisopvaloisop Live Member
in General 5 karma

Hi all! I am currently a full-time student, working ~35 hours a week as an LA, and trying to fit in at least 3-4 hours a day on LSAT prep. Are there others in the same boat, and how are you avoiding burnout?

I suppose I just want to hear from anyone who is managing a similar workload that can sympathize. It seems like most of my friends and fellow pre-law students are able to take time off of school and work in order to study.

Comments

• GNA451--GNA451-- Core Member
    edited June 25 69 karma

Good question and definitely a real challenge with no easy answers, but I'll take a stab - I work full time as a senior manager at a big tech company that can often be 50-60hrs and am also an officer in the Army Reserve in a leadership role (variable extra hours, but definitely some extra hours per week).

I would say the consistency is a key foundation, but two other tips:
    - Getting in the right head space makes the time more value-add so that you're getting more bang for your buck (it's not just about raw hours count). E.g. For me, I studied in the evening primarily, but coming from intense/taxing days, I needed to usually go for a run or lift before even trying to start studying or else my brain would feel like mush.
    - Going 3-4hrs every single day probably isn't realistic - your job will require some long hours, you'll need to study for an upcoming test, etc., so be charitable there when you can't, but also on the flipside, hunt for extra time when the opportunity appears. E.g. If I had a quiet day at work, I'd do a few logic games during lunch. For you, maybe after a test when you can back off the studying for a moment, try to ramp up studying if you can, etc.

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    213 karma

Working full time and trying to study is super hard! I learned that I can't hold myself to such a rigorous standard as X number of hours. Instead, I try to value what I got out of studying. Sometimes I study for 5 hours on a weekend and feel like I did nothing productive. But other times I study for one hour and feel like I learned a lot.

Here's what I've been doing: I wake up at 5:30, go to a coffeeshop and start studying by 6 am. I work 9-5 (sometimes longer). I try to get an exercise in every other day in the afternoon. I try to eat healthy. I see my friends. I take Saturdays off. I think this helps with burnout! Good luck :)

• The OGSumThe OGSum Core Member
    3 karma

I'm in the same boat! I'm a product manager working 40 hours a week and it's been admittedly tough maintaining the energy to stay consistent with studying. I try to study ~2-3 hours a day by sneaking in studying - some video explanations, a problem set here and there etc. - while at work. And then I study after work and on weekends. I find it easiest to study after work when I WFH as I have most energy then when commuting isn't a factor.

Something I've learned is it's better to not study at all rather than study when you're tired / drained. It's just been a waste of resources for me to study when I'm unfocused. Better to take a break and return later.

If you have the flexibility, I would suggest breaking up your work as a student and intersperse it with LSAT study. As in, if you're hyper productive 10am to noon, dedicate that window of time to the LSAT, and then reallocate those 2 hours for LA work to some other point in the day.

It's exhausting, I admit. But you're not alone :)

• whistlingplantwhistlingplant Live Member
    107 karma

@catbelly love the note about going out of the house! Will try doing this more :blush: