Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to improve on logical reasoning

needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
in General 175 karma
I feel like I am hitting a plateau on the LR section, I keep getting 7 or 8 questions wrong every time I do it. I am starting to feel sick while doing the questions and cannot concentrate!!! Anyone with similar problem??? How do I overcome this?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 7965 karma
    Need deets :)

1) 7sager or otherwise? Completed curriculum?
    2) PT's or drilling sections?
    3) How long have you been studying? And how many hours per week?
    4) How many PT's?
    5) Which QT's are causing the most trouble? Which QT's are your strengths?
  • needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    edited July 2015 175 karma
    7sager and powerscore, doing untimed PTs and started beginning of June and about 6-8 hours a week. Found argument parts, flawed reasoning and sometimes assumption questions. I am mostly good at weakening, strongly supported and method of reasoning. @nicole.hopkins
    7965 karma
    @gabriellatkj said:
    doing untimed PTs
    Don't do this :) Who told you to do PT's untimed? Unless we're talking about PT's from 1-36, this is, IMO, a HUGE waste of a PT. 100% strict timing 100% of the time.
    @gabriellatkj said:
    I am mostly good at weakening, strongly supported and method of reasoning.
    Those are good things to be good at! If you're getting MoR, what do you think is your barrier with AP?

For flaws, pick up the LSAT Trainer.

Which assumption Q's are the biggest issue—SA or NA?
  • needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I just started PTs, currently doing the 20s and moving onto 30s, just to practice and get familiar with the question types. I have trouble with NA, I tried to time myself while doing PTs, but then I instead started to worry about the time than focus on the question. :(
    7965 karma
    @gabriellatkj said:
    I just started PTs, currently doing the 20s and moving onto 30s, just to practice and get familiar with the question types.
    Ok! I think it's cool to do these PT's untimed (which is basically untimed drilling).

@gabriellatkj said:
    I have trouble with NA
    With NA—are you able to prephrase the gaps? What's your process for these like right now?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Forget the power score, did you do the whole 7Sage curriculum beginning to end? If not, I'd say go back and do that and use as many problem sets per section as need be until you get comfortable. If you did, I would stop doing full PTs, and stop doing anything untimed because you're setting yourself up for failure. If you can't deal with taking a timed test now, the only thing that will get you there is timing yourself. There's no point at which not timing yourself will pay off in the form of being able to deal with the stress of a timed test. In the beginning during drilling it's okay to use a stopwatch and give yourself unlimited time but you still need an awareness of what's going on so you know if it takes you 1 minute per question or 5 minutes, or 40 minutes per section versus 2 hours per section. Once you get to actually doing full PTs they need to be timed with a timer. In my opinion doing 1-35 untimed is not really a useful way to prep. Trust in the curriculum, do some timed PTs (3-5), plug in the analytics and then address your problem areas through review and drilling. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    In the beginning during drilling it's okay to use a stopwatch and give yourself unlimited time but you still need an awareness of what's going on so you know if it takes you 1 minute per question or 5 minutes, or 40 minutes per section versus 2 hours per section.
    100% agree with this, and modify my previous statements in accord with this sound/sage advice.