Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2016 LSAT

Comments

• megsvyas_OVOmegsvyas_OVO Alum Member
    218 karma
    Guys, I'm in for June too!!!!! Really excited to be a part of this process with you all. Looking forward to attending my first BR Skype session, too! @LSATsagha - oh yes, SO MUCH parental pressure; I have to keep reminding myself that I'm my own boss!
  • i.pollocki.pollock Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    Wrote the LSAT today and am certain I will have to re-write. I was thinking of trying again in June but want to complete a formal course in preparation this time. For those of you who are doing the Ultimate+, do you think it's doable to get it done (and truly benefit from it) in 6 months?
  • ôsəmAndyôsəmAndy Member
    6 karma
    I'm in for June.
  • lenelson2lenelson2 Member
    523 karma
    I'm retaking in June. Started my studying off right this week by BR correctly pt 20.
  • renielew37renielew37 Alum Member
    15 karma
    Im in for June 2016
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Juners! Today is the first Fundamental Skills Workshop! Here’s the link: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/6342/workshop-wednesday-active-reading-with-c-janson35

Hope to see a bunch of you there!
  • veeveeveeveeveevee Member
    13 karma
    Any Vancouverites taking June? I'm starting studying come January and just started researching 7sage.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    I did about 2 and a half hours worth of work, which I guess is going to be the average time per day
    How's this pace feeling?
  • allan.koganallan.kogan Member
    64 karma
    @nye8870 feels fantastic. No rush, and gives me time to digest the material much better, as opposed to how I was with Test Masters. 6 month plan is much less stressful. First two months just crack the material down, and the last 4 months take a couple exams a week, blind review, and work in weaknesses. So much time to improve. I am assuming once I start taking exams I will probably study more intensively pinpointing weaknesses and stuff like that, but not to worried about burning out. I am still adjusting to not studying as much as I used to per day it feels kind of weird haha, but at least I can retain the material better! Thank you for asking!
    64 karma
    I am on week 3 of the syllabus, MBT not so bad. Thus far, strengthening and weakening questions I have noticed can get pretty difficult. I have noticed the ones that I have trouble with are the ones where the passage is difficult for me to understand. What do I do in this particular case? Lol very discouraging.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    I have noticed the ones that I have trouble with are the ones where the passage is difficult for me to understand.
    I was in the same boat when I first started out with the LSAT. From my experience, I found that the more time I spent with the LSAT material and the more familiar I was with it, the better I became at reading through it/understanding the stimulus/readings. It is a little tricky to get/figure out what is going on, and it took me a few months of steady comprehension to just start getting it without any questions asked about what I just read. You'll get there!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @allan.kogan Practice and experience helped me start to overcome that same feeling. In the curriculum, strengthen & weaken questions begin to challenge you to start engaging in the stimulus and understanding arguments and argument structure. I have been studying off/on for a year and the "passage is difficult" is still a common issue for many of us. The stimuli are purposely complex - my advice is to stick to the basics for now especially just starting the curriculum. Make sure to identify the premise(s), conclusion and the assumption/flaw in the argument & make sure you are working towards understanding the argument structure no matter the topic. If identifying the flaw is the bigger issue, get Mike Kim's The LSAT Trainer and read his Flaw section - very helpful.
    7468 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    What do I do in this particular case? Lol very discouraging.
    During your blind reviews, you can write out a simpler version of the complicated sentences. Inevitably, a 3 sentence stimulus could conceivably have 9 sentence translation. After a year of pretty consistent studying, I still do this sometimes. If you can’t understand it, the rest is irrelevant.
  • JwalterJwalter Member
    13 karma
    I'm in for June as well! I hope I'm giving myself enough time
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    We technically only have 5 months and two weeks left!
    64 karma
    @twssmith @lsatings @sweetsecret How many hours a day would you guys say you were studying while you were doing the cirriculum, (not taking PTs yet) ?
    64 karma
    Also what I have not gotten to flaws yet @lsatings . Thus far, I am just doinf strenghthening and weakening questions by identifying the assumptions and focusing on argument structure. I can imagine once I get to the flaws lecture it will probably help me even more adding that to my problem solving tools.
    1278 karma
    @allan.kogan For December, I was rushing through the curriculum to do PT's and make the test. This time, I am going through the curriculum very slowly coupled with Cambridge LR and LG drilling.

I just redid my LSAT schedule for the June test, because I got behind in the curriculum. This time I won't start PTing until the first week of February after I have completed the curriculum slowly and ensure that I really understand all aspects of the LSAT. That said for LR and RC I am using the Trainer book to complement the LR lessons in 7Sage. I am skipping 7Sage's RC portion and the lessons where 7Sage has RC, I am reading the Trainer chapters and going through the exercises on RC.

That said, doing all the curriculum based on subject for example I am doing MSS questions today. I am committing up to 5 hours a day of prep. I am leaving the weekends free because they sometimes have workshop sessions then, and also life can get in the way on the weekends. When I start PTing I will start at two a week and then go to three a week leaving the interim day for BR. I am going to try to mesh my PT schedule from 39 onto the most recent one and synchronize it with the BR group because I think it is probably very helpful and effective.
    349 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    How many hours a day would you guys say you were studying while you were doing the cirriculum, (not taking PTs yet) ?
    I didn't start out with 7sage! I actually had taken a Kaplan course and felt that it was a disaster and so I came here. But I would say I was doing a solid 10-15 hours/week for the first few months, and most of it was just *getting* what was in the stimulus/test. Im a big kinesthetic learner, so I couldn't jump into strategies right away before actually trying the problem sets on my own and trying to go about it that way.

Once you start figuring out how to break apart the stimulus between argument/premises, then it gets much easier. I was approaching it and trying to force myself to understand it without any strategy, which wasn't working for me.
    @allan.kogan said:
    Also what I have not gotten to flaws yet
    This should come easily after you're able to begin identifying the gap in logic or vulnerability is within each stimulus. The more you practice, the easier it comes. It took me about two months to jump from a 155 to a 165, and I focused a lot on comprehension over timing just because I was new to it all and knew if i added the time component I may not be able to grasp all the concepts as well as I should be. Now that I'm at a 165 (timed), I'm training with time/comprehension simultaneously.

Keep adding layers to your study as you go along. It's okay if it takes time. Just be intellectually honest with yourself about what you know/don't know and that humility will carry you a long way in mastering this test.
    64 karma
    Anyone even on a 6 month plan to June feel like the material is starting to pile up after week 3 of the study schedule and not being able to get enough practice in of every question type learned so far :/. I think I am doing okay, maybe just overreacting. I just hope come in one month when I start taking PTs from Feb-June (4 months of PTs) that I wont start with a 146 which was my original highest score lol. I just get nervous because I feel like I never get enough practice of each questiont type but maybe I should not worry so much. Everytime I learn a new question type I actually feel like I get better and conceptually understand argument structure more and more.
    edited December 2015 7468 karma
    @allan.kogan to give you some perspective. I started studying LSAT this time last year. I won't be taking the test until this June. And I'll probably need to take it in October too at least. Though, I started at a 141 baseline.

But this takes some time. There's a reason why JY recommends spending a year to prep.

Best of luck!
    64 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I started like 4-5 months ago as well, now adding an addition 6 months (starting since december). I am right there with you hitting a year in June! Will definitely take June though at a certain point I gotta take this thing and with 4 months of PT taking and Blind Review I am sure I will be able to do this! But if need be, I will take October also, without a doubt.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    I am sure I will be able to do this!
    Keep this attitude!
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @allan.kogan said:
    now adding an addition 6 months (starting since december)
    This will do nothing but help you. Its a hard decision to postpone, but its one that will benefit you in the long run.
  • legally_chelslegally_chels Alum Member
    206 karma
    Decided today that I am definitely testing in June. As upset as I am that I will not be going to law school this coming fall, I have made peace with it. It is better to get an additional 5 more months of studying so that I can get a good score than to take the test in February and perform average. It will be worth it when I score 170+ and get lots of scholly money! Here's to hoping for the best.. :)
    1644 karma
    @legally_chels I commend you for making the tough decision. It'll pay off in the end.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"legally_chels" said:
    Decided today that I am definitely testing in June. As upset as I am that I will not be going to law school this coming fall, I have made peace with it. It is better to get an additional 5 more months of studying so that I can get a good score than to take the test in February and perform average.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member
    266 karma
    I'm also planning to take the June exam. Enjoying the curriculum so far. I did well on my second PT (171 on #12) but feel like my true performance is closer to mid 160s (older PTs seem a lot easier). I need to improve my grammar parsing on difficult questions.
  • HeatherMHeatherM Alum Member
    42 karma
    I also decided to postpone to June. I have gone through the curriculum twice (better handle on it second time around.) But I also think the material was condensed. Should I upgrade so that I have access to more material? Also, what is the process with blind review? I thought you take a PT timed and then take it untimed, repeat with other PT's, is this correct? Thanks
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I'm taking in June! Getting through the curriculum (hopefully) before March 16, then taking 2/3 PTs a week (aiming for 30 total)!
    1644 karma
    @HeatherM said:
    Should I upgrade so that I have access to more material?
    If you can swing it financially, there is nothing but upside.

@HeatherM said:
    what is the process with blind review?
    Typically, you want to take a PT under strict, timed conditions. You want to make these conditions as similar to test day as you can. While you are going through the test timed, circle any questions that you cannot eliminate 4 wrong answer choices with 100% confidence and confirm the correct answer choice with 100% confidence. At the conclusion of the timed test, print a clean copy (or copy before hand if working from the books) and do all circled questions untimed. During this run, dig as deep as you need to into the argument/fact set and work to eliminate and confirm with 100% confidence. Take as long as you need to. This is where the bulk of learning takes place and where you start to notice the subtle patterns that emerge within the tests. Beware of confidence errors. These are questions that you miss that you don't circle. These are particularly dangerous because they represent the fact that you were 100% sure of the right and wrong answer choices but ended up being incorrect. These will inevitably happen, but work to keep them to a minimum. When they do happen, you have to understand why you missed it and eliminate the faulty reasoning that led to said miss.

Another tip that has helped me tremendously is to type out the reasoning for each question including the premise, conclusion, what I need to be looking for and why each answer choice is either right or wrong. This will help a great deal when you watch the video to see how closely your reasoning matches JYs or Jonathans. Best of luck to you. Be sure to ask any questions you might have.
  • HeatherMHeatherM Alum Member
    42 karma
    Thank you so much!
  • taylerpataylerpa Member
    edited January 2016 7 karma
    Planning on taking it in June. I just started the course last week.
  • MikeNelsonMikeNelson Alum Member
    6 karma
    I too started the course last week. I love the course so far and I can say with 100% confidence that I've already learned so much more with 7Sage than what I learned in the first week with Blue Print.
    349 karma
    @"legally_chels" said:
    As upset as I am that I will not be going to law school this coming fall, I have made peace with it
    one of the hardest parts of rescheduling the tests. once you make peace with it then it becomes significantly easier to study for.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    Targeting June, practiced on my own for two months before Joining 7sage Last Week I am right there with you guys! ☺️
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    edited February 2016 137 karma
    Hey guys! I'm also taking the June test :) It'll be my first time.

I've only taken two PTs so far from The Official LSAT Superprep (A and B - haven't done C yet) and by far my worst section is Logic Games. Improved from a 151 on the first test to a 153 the second one with about a month of studying in between. As far as the games go I'm digging JY's approach and looking forward to getting those suckers down to a t.

Before starting with 7sage I was using Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer which is awesome and I highly recommend. If your eyes need a break from the computer the Trainer has some super useful drills for flaws and other reasoning questions. I continue to go back to the book and find it to be a nice complement to this curriculum. Completely worth the $43.

Looking forward to sharing stories throughout this rigorous study period!
  • brown373brown373 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    hey i was looking for a prep class and was considering sage's starter package. obviously because its affordable compared to the others. wanted to get some feedback if anyone has taken the class.
    please leave your score and what class you took if you can
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @brown373 Might be better to make a separate thread if you want an answer for this!
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Has anyone run into a study schedule conflict? I was supposed to end my curriculum at the end of February and start PT but it looks like I'll be waiting until early March. I am in no way going to rush!
    1278 karma
    @nantesorkestar I'm probably 2 weeks behind my study schedule, was originally going to start PTing in February then end of February, now its probably going to be beginning of March.. The most important thing I think is that your ready curriculumwise before you start PTing..
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @nantesorkestar & @sweetsecret Both of you are being smart to not rush! Wish I wasn't studying the curriculum a 2nd time because I rushed focusing on a Dec 2015 target date. I wasted 10 PT's and so much time before I finally listened to the 7Sage advice to thoroughly do the curriculum and have a sound base of the fundamentals before the PT phase. All the best:)
    1278 karma
    @twssmith thanks for the encouragement but I was in the same boat as you.. was rushing through the curriculum and PT's for the December 2015 test (mainly the 40s and one of the 60s) when a month before the test I realized that I was nowhere near prepared and making a lot of unwarranted assumptions in my reasoning. That came from not mastering the curriculum. Aiming for June (*fingers crossed*), and hoping that I make my new schedule lol
  • TOLedo2016TOLedo2016 Alum Member
    54 karma
    Hey guys! How is your prep for the June test going? I'm a few weeks in an have already made huge improvements. Can I also recommend the Thinking LSAT podcast. The discussion has really helped me.
    431 karma
    Thanks for the comments! How are you going about purchasing prep tests 36-75?

Cambridge LSAT has them individually as pdf's for $9 and Amazon has the book form 29-36 and 41-50, etc. for I believe $20 each.
  • MikeyMangoodMikeyMangood Alum Member
    100 karma
    @TOLedo2016 I also really enjoy the Thinking LSAT podcast. It's perfect for keeping my mind on the subject matter while doing things that prohibit me from actively studying.
    54 karma
    I have been buying the books used on Amazon. Which helps curbed the cost a bit. Any suggestions to find them cheaper? Yeah. The podcast is great. It's almost like free instruction and provides discussion on other topics like applications, school rankings, and personal statements.
    431 karma
    @TOLedo2016 How many PT's are you planning on taking?
    54 karma
    10 full tests. But, I do a lot of individual timed sections also. For example, I do a section of games and a section of LR 3-4 nights a week
  • JSL17824JSL17824 Alum Member
    141 karma
    @"s_tengler" said:
    @nicole.hopkins Thanks. I work full time, so I figure it'll take me longer than others to get through all the material.

I plan to take LSAT on June this year and work full-time, too!
    To be more specific, I work 70 hours per week!