Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing between two schools! Help appreciated :)

RaeD4512RaeD4512 Alum Member
in General 38 karma
Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on 7Sage because (thanks to this amazing website) I got into both of my top choices! I am super excited, but now it's time to decide where I should attend.

I have done my research, and I am well aware of the financial strain a legal education can place on a student. I have a detailed financial plan for both of the schools, which are The George Washington School of Law and OSU The Moritz College of Law. I am hoping maybe the 7Sage community can help me process the pros, and cons of my pending decision.

My goal is to practice law in D.C. (before everyone gets on the GW bandwagon I understand that you should attend school where you plan to practice law), but I was only given $13,000 in grant money. I received my M.A. in Public Policy, and I would love to draft legislation (but I might change my mind once I go to law school so I want options). GW's tuition is currently $56k, and my total cost of attendance for one academic year would amount to nearly $70k (including room, board, books, personal, etc…). I visited the school, and fell in love; but reality is literally slapping me in the face. The grant is renewable depending on my financial status, but otherwise the rest would be covered by student loans. There are no other cons except the price of the institution.

My second choice is OSU, and I feel like I need to explain myself on this one because there is a huge difference between Washington D.C. and Columbus, Ohio. I was flown out to OSU during undergrad to tour the law school. I was pleasantly surprised by the faculty, academics, and network at OSU. They are also competitively ranked (#30 according to U.S. News and World Reports). Their network is expansive, and I do not think attending this school would shatter my dreams of becoming an attorney in D.C.; but I know I would have access to higher paying jobs should I attend GW. Lastly, OSU gave me $14.5k in scholarship, and I could become a resident after living their for 12 months (lowering my tuition costs).

Overall, the cost of attending OSU my first year would amount to $49k (including my scholarship, and other expenses). The cost of attending OSU would most likely drop if I become a resident. The cost of attending GW for my first year is $70k, and tuition increases every year. My current undergraduate, and graduate debt is $20k so I am also taking this into consideration. If I attend OSU (with my current debt) I would graduate with approximately $110k - $120k in debt. If I attend GW (with my current debt) I would graduate with approximately $180k - $200k in debt.

I am not asking for anyone to make a decision for me. I am looking for insight, especially if you're going through this experience. I have put a seat deposit at both schools.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I have a friend who is currently attending Moritz. While he loves it (Ohio native), he has been pretty upfront that the disadvantage in hiring outside of Ohio is pretty steep. He applied for summer internships in some other regions and didn't get any callbacks. He's taken a job in Cleveland for this summer. To put this in perspective, he is a very impressive guy - served in the Marine Corp, and has his undergrad and business degrees from Harvard. He interned at the White House. On paper, he's a fantastic candidate with real world experience, and he gets to check the veteran box. Even with all of those other factors, he didn't get a single call back outside of Columbus and Cleveland.
    If you want to practice in Ohio, the networks coming out of school there will be fantastic. If you truly want to leave Ohio, I wouldn't recommend it.
    I know the debt is tough, but if you love GW and you are really set on practicing in DC, go there. You can deal with the debt over time once you're established in your career.
    But it depends on your personal career goals. Just be aware that the OSU Moritz brand is strong in Ohio and weak outside of it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with @allison.gill.sanford . Paying down the debt will suck, but at least it's in your hands. Ohio would somewhat alleviate that burden, but at the same time it creates significant hurdles for you that are outside of your control. If your dream is to practice in DC and you've got an offer from GW, I say run with it. That opens the door that leads you to exactly where you want to be.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/osu/jobs/location/2014/

In 2014, 71% of OSU grads stayed in Ohio. 3.3% went to New York (7/210), and 2.9% went to DC (6/210). Granted, I don't know how many people wanted to leave Ohio, so it could be that all 6 people who wanted to go to DC all went to DC in the end, but somehow I doubt it. If employment in DC is your goal I think it's hard to square with those kinds of numbers.