Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking PTs in different room than actual room

KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
in General 260 karma
So the consensus is that if you're able to take PTs in the actual room that you're taking the LSAT, do it, right? I would have to agree with this notion. Not many people have this luxury, but I do. So far I've taken a total of 3 PTs after re-doing the curriculum. 2 were in the actual room (which is at my university), 1 was in my university's library. However, for the PTs which were in the actual room, I was faced with a myriad of distractions and interruptions that I don't think would be present on D Day: my university decides that NOW is a wonderful time to start repaving that beat-up street in front of the room (imagine jack hammering, huge trucks scraping up the demolished pieces of concrete, the constant beeping of those trucks when they go in reverse), also a janitor decides that cleaning said room is absolutely imperative to the functioning of the university: arranging chairs to desks, throwing out the garbage bins that have no garbage in them, and just walking around the room aimlessly which was incredibly distracting (mind you, it's just a big room that no classes are ever held in). Now for the cherry on top, the room adjacent to this room is undergoing some sort of construction as well: drilling holes, hammering, literally anything that could make noise. I had to Pause mid-PT until noises died down a little.
I was definitely off of my game for those PTs in the actual room and it showed with my scores.

However, for the PT I took in the library, it was perfect. Some noise, but definitely not inhibiting my ability to focus...and it showed with my score. (this was the highest score I received to date)

What I'm asking is: should I not continue taking tests in the room and take them in the library? Getting accustomed to the actual testing environment is important, but not with all that noise/distractions, right?

Comments

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 2086 karma
    Ideally, you want to mirror actual test-day conditions as best you can. Chances are they won't be doing construction come exam day. If they will be, consider changing your testing location.
    I would caution against continuing to take PTs in that particular room. Some distractions are nice. But, jackhammers, loud janitors, and construction are probably not mirroring what the actual test day will be like. For now, I would take them in the library.

You can also look for a class with a similar layout to the class that you will be taking your test in. Make sure the other room as far away from any construction.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I'd say that while taking the PTs in the room is a definite luxury that could have some advantages, it's not worth it if it can be detrimental to your progress/performance. In my opinion, taking PTs in the room is a matter of getting comfortable and acclimated to the environment so test day feels just like another PT.

Assuming you're comfortable enough with that room already, I'd say it's probably more beneficial to take tests in conditions similar to test day rather than just trying to be in that particular room.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    I never took PT's in the room, but I did take the test twice in the same center and in nearly identical rooms. I was definitely extra comfortable there the second time around.
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    Thank you all..

This will be my second time taking the exam. I took the exam in this same room in December '15.. I will admit that upon arriving to the room on D Day (which I didn't even know existed until I took the LSAT there), I was a bit intimidated because it was new environment and quite frankly a HUGE room. Now that I know the room and am familiar with it, I think I can take my PTs elsewhere in the mean time.