Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Rules and Regulations

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
edited May 2016 in General 3788 karma
Hi guys,

I was reading through the rules on my admission ticket and apparently you aren't allowed to visit the testing room itself prior to the exam nor call the test center supervisors prior to the exam as well. Does thiis means that we can't call ahead to see if there are any ongoing construction projects or any noisy distractions on the day of the exam? How could they possibly enforce these two rules?

Comments

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I think you're safe just calling the university where the test is given to ask about construction, since they're not necessarily the "test center supervisors." But, LSAC is so strange, so who knows.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27848 karma
    Little is known about LSAC. While their inner workings are a mystery, there is a wide consensus that the LSAC Board of Trustees, pictured below, “has their ways."
    27848 karma
    I imagine that the test room visit only applies to like, getting in there before the proctors or something. They don’t want a Godfather gun-in-the-toilet style situation. I’ve had classes in testing rooms before, so there’s only so far they can take that. I would be surprised if they had any enforceable means of prohibiting you from visiting a university and asking to see a classroom. At least, not any “natural” means.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    They don’t want a Godfather gun-in-the-toilet style situation.
    LOL
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    They don’t want a Godfather gun-in-the-toilet style situation.
    LOL

This is actually true! Ha! I called the LSAC to ask a question about this last cycle and they said they had to crack down due to "devices" being placed. And yes, ice packs are allowed in your ziplock, and the proctor at your test site has to approve your inhaler going on your desk if you didn't ask for accommodation... if anyone was wondering... yep... just a few of the weird questions I asked about...
    27848 karma
    Yeah, it would be all too easy to wreak havoc by sneaking a cell phone in beforehand and then retrieving it once past the proctors. The technology issue is going to become increasingly difficult to manage though. They’re now embedding cameras into contact lenses: techstory.in/sony-contact-lens/ . Things are going to get crazy. All I can think to do is to sync testing across time zones and make everyone take it inside a Faraday cage. Either that or have a unique test for every test taker, which seems even more implausible than the Faraday cages.
  • 342 karma
    Whoa I didn't realize how serious this was. I was just going to show up with a photo ID and take the test but I guess people are getting crafty and making it more difficult
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    people are getting crafty and making it more difficult
    People have been crazy crafty for a long time with this test. http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/275470/lsat-cheating-part-1-a-short-history & http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/27/local/me-58227

• cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    There was recently a thread on TLS about going into the room before the test. LSAC actually says you can't ever have been in the room before you take the test, which is of course patently ridiculous since many people take the test at their university and have had classes in the testing room. I understand the purpose of the regulation, but it's obviously impossible to enforce. Of all the things you should be worrying about right now, this isn't one of them.
  • 342 karma
    @stepharizona I am not surprised at all... I think it was a Chris Evans movie... The Perfect Score? about the SAT. So I am not surprised... I am glad I am not at the point I have to stress about this just yet, but I am seeing all these posts about matching pictures you submit... haha. I mean some photos I look like death but look ok in person and then in person I look like death but ok in a photo... haha. Can't wait to see how that goes in Sept when I plan on taking the exam.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    There was this one story I ready on TLS where the guy forgot that he had his phone with him (though it was turned off). During the 15 minute break, he went outside and realized that he actually had his phone in his pocket. Because he didn't want to risk taking the phone inside the testing room again, he hid it in a bush near the testing room. Going back to the room near the end of the break, he saw that his close friend's GF was also writing the LSAT in the same room. So what does he do...he tells this whole incidence to her. Thinking it was the end of the story, he goes in to the room and finishes the exam. As he was about to leave, he was asked by the proctor to stay back. Apparently, his friend's GF had told the proctor about his little misfortune. He actually took the proctor to the bush where his phone was kept. LSAC did a whole inquiry on this issue and found that although rules were broken, they will not impose any penalty on him. He apparently got somewhere in the 170s.

So yeah, the lesson is that don't take your phones to the testing room. Leave it in the car, leave it in your house, heck...give it to the homeless guy outside the testing place (I doubt you will get your phone back, but atleast you will have some good karma :P)