Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redoing old lsats help

crazyloedcrazyloed Alum Member
edited July 2016 in General 105 karma
Hey guys I have done the PT in 60's last year studying for October and December. But now studying again for September I did my first lsat in the 60's and certainly recognized the stimulus. Also when I would predict I saw my prediction was usually correct. I ended up getting like -3 in both the LR sections which is much better than before where I usually get around -6. I am kind of scared because redoing these PT's in 60's now might be a bad idea. This time around with studying I started at PT 35 and completed all the way to PT 59. Any advice would be great

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    Try and figure out whether or not you got them right because you really understood the stimulus and predicted correctly or because you just knew what the right answer was and picked it anyway.
    If it's the former than congrats you have a stronger fundamental understanding than last year. If it's the latter than you have to be real with yourself. During the test, quickly find why 4 are wrong and why one is correct. I really don't see any problem with retakes. My brain doesn't always remember what i read a few months ago. It's the skill you've gained, the methods you've learned that matters.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    Retakes have lots of value, you’ve just got to understand that your scores will be inflated. Like @nanchito said, just keep it real and take the time to actually figure out the logic behind questions that you remember.
  • 44 karma
    If that's the case, I would do pt's in the 70s (or LRs from 1-34) before you redid your 60s. I have experienced what you are talking about before, and for me it meant I hadn't done enough LR questions. Once you only start to see the logical skeleton instead of the filler meat, that's when you know you're at a high level.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    JY gave me some great advice to lower the amount of time on retakes to help combat at the fact that youve seen the test previously. I feel like its making me quicker over all.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @stepharizona knows I'm a big fan of the shortened time on the retakes (although I don't know if I have the stomach to go all the way down to 25 minutes/section - that's advanced stuff). That will take care of the fact that you're answering the easy questions faster or you straight out remember some answers.
    I found that I often remember I've read the question before, but I don't necessarily remember what the correct answer was, even for questions I've struggled with; maybe especially for questions I've struggled with, because you tend to remember the struggle more than the resolution.

Another point I'd like to make that gets mentioned quite often is that you don't take PT's to get a gratifying score, you take them to learn how to do better on the real thing. As long as you remember that, it doesn't matter whether or not your scores are inflated. What matters is whether you have a better grasp of the material. The shorter time helps with assessing that as well - because some of the questions will be faster, if you give yourself 35 minutes you will have more time left to tackle the hard questions so your score will be more like a BR score. Shaving off some time will ideally leave you with the same amount of time for the hard questions that you would have for a fresh test. Let's say easy questions on repeats take 20 minutes, easy questions on a first take would take 25. To leave 10 minutes for the hard questions you'd time your repeats at 30 minutes and your fresh takes at 35. As your "easy" times go down, time your repeats lower.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    Another point I'd like to make that gets mentioned quite often is that you don't take PT's to get a gratifying score, you take them to learn how to do better on the real thing. As long as you remember that, it doesn't matter whether or not your scores are inflated. What matters is whether you have a better grasp of the material.
    Second.