Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait for the next cycle?

aimhigheraimhigher Alum Member
in General 100 karma
I'm currently signed up for the September LSAT next weekend, but I plan on withdrawing from it because I don't feel ready. I've heard that if I take the December LSAT, even though pretty much every law school is willing to accept those scores, my chances of getting in might be lower/less scholarship money. I'm currently a full time student and I've been studying LSATs whenever I can. I made a pretty big leap from end of August until now, my average is about 162, but the last few I have taken under good, quiet conditions were around mid-160s (164, 166, 166). I'm aiming for a 170 but I'm not sure I can get there by December, nor do I want to lose out on a chance of getting into a great law school because I applied a little later in the cycle. Would it be better to wait for the next cycle (take the June 2017 LSAT, apply in the fall of 2017?) I would have already graduated by then, and would probably need to find a job or internship that is willing to take me for only a year. I've been struggling with these thoughts since September started. Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I decided to wait a year to better my score, and I couldn't be more thankful for it. That stated, every situation is different.

Being a full-time student while studying has to be difficult. I would think that would be more difficult than working full-time, though that would very much depend on the job. I suggest you continue to aim for December, and if you're still not where you'd like to be, wait out another year. The fact that you're willing to apply the year after is a great benefit to you. If you need it, you have six months at the very least before your first take. Waiting out this year will almost surely benefit you, so if you're not at 170+ consistently by December, wait it out.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @aimhigher said:
    Would it be better to wait for the next cycle (take the June 2017 LSAT, apply in the fall of 2017?) I would have already graduated by then, and would probably need to find a job or internship that is willing to take me for only a year. I've been struggling with these thoughts since September started. Thoughts, anyone?
    Yeah, my thoughts are that waiting is always a better play in situations like these.

By waiting until next cycle, you give yourself the ability to get good grades now, while continuing to prep and get your score up. the cherry on top is that you leave yourself less stressed and can be applying early next cycle.

However, if your PT average is in the 170s by December, then of course re-consider. Being someone in the 160s now, I understand how hard it is to make the jump into the 170s. Every single point means you have to get like 2x better at something you are already pretty good at. So this can take a bit longer than we anticipate sometimes.

So I would without a doubt postpone from taking next week and plan for December at the earliest and more than likely next June.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I'll make it easy on you:
    1) Withdraw from September. You have a target score that you likely wont achieve in a week.
    2) Do NOT register for December.
    3) Study your butt off, PT, BR, etc.
    4) When you've achieved your target score (+-2/3) consistently, about 6-10 times, register for the upcoming test.

If the "upcoming test" will only allow you to apply for next cycle, than so be it.
  • aimhigheraimhigher Alum Member
    edited September 2016 100 karma
    @danielznelson First thank you (and everyone else) for replying. Yeah, studying LSATs with a full time job is harder than studying LSATs as a student - at least as a student I can choose to wake up extra early to take a preptest before classes, which isn't something I can do if I work a regular 9-5 job. Do you maybe have any suggestions as to if I should work at a job that may be of use in the legal field (like paralegal or something) that may have a lot of hours, or maybe focus on a job that is easy with flexible hours but won't necessarily look good on my resume?
    100 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks for responding! I seem to be stuck in the mid-160s as well, do you have any tips that you found helpful that have helped you gain points? I can feel myself inching closer to 170, but only on the older tests, and sometimes my test scores fluctuate wildly :(
    100 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    If the "upcoming test" will only allow you to apply for next cycle, than so be it.
    Haha thanks for making it easier. My worries about applying for the next cycle is what to do in the gap year. Do you think it would be better to get a job and study on the side, or study full time LSATs?
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Ever since ive started working full-time my mind and body changed. I use to be able to pull all nighters and nap for 30 mins then go to class, no way im doing that now. I also dont know how I could stretch 20 dollars for a whole week, it amazes me.

I agree with @MrSamIam. You don't need all that pressure on you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2016 23929 karma
    < exaggeration >
    @aimhigher said:
    Thanks for responding! I seem to be stuck in the mid-160s as well, do you have any tips that you found helpful that have helped you gain points? I can feel myself inching closer to 170, but only on the older tests, and sometimes my test scores fluctuate wildly :(
    I began revising the CC lessons a second time. Not everything, but the lessons on valid and invalid argument forms and conditionality and the translations. I already knew this stuff, but revisiting it and committing it to memory increased my speed in LR.

Also something that no exaggeration took me from missing like 6 LR a section to 3 was implementing a skipping strategy. It really helped me with my pacing and gave me more time at the end to spend the time on those harder questions. I'm convinced skipping questions on LR is the only way to consistently do well on the section. At least for me, lol.

Sorry if you're already doing these things... They are just a few lil' things I have found that helped me a ton.

Unfortunately many of my points are being missed on RC.... Some passages I miss 4 others 8. So I have the same problems there as far as inconsistency.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    If you have the option to study full time, do that.
    100 karma
    Unfortunately I don't think I could afford to just study full time and not work or do an internship as well. Do you guys think it's risky to take the February LSATs? I've heard a bunch of mixed stuff about it - some say don't because it's undisclosed and might not be as similar to the released PTs - but I'm not sure how accurate that is?
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    All of this totally depends on what school you want to get into. You can get full rides to lower ranked schools with scores in the 160s. If you are more set on going to a great school, then be willing to do whatever it takes (whether job, no job, internship, etc.). I think everyone will encourage you to study over a long period with consistent application of yourself to get a great score but if a great score doesn't outweigh all other considerations then you have to find some sort of compromise that works for you. There are many paths to success, I hope you find a great one that works for you!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    If you have the option to study full time, do that.
    This. Get a job after you've taken the LSAT.
    100 karma
    Thank you for the responses everyone! I'm definitely going to be withdrawing from the September LSAT and reconsidering the next year of my life haha :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Welcome to the club:)